Second egg hatches

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from plantman

plantman

This is my second pen using egg shells as a base on my tubes. Pen is a PSI magnetic Vertex with Gold fittings. I did this one a little different than the first by turning larger Maple barrels so I could build up a CA finish instead of having to cast PR over the shells. Cuts out a few steps and gives me more controll of the final finish on the pen. Egg shells, after being soaked in bleach overnight, are applied to Maple barrels with Tacky Glue, filed and sanded to 1200. A green Alcohol Ink was applied as a base coat, followed by a watermellon colored Ink, and a light sanding to bring out some lighter portions of the shells. Finished with a buldup of thich CA ti bring the pen to the correct size. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0017 (800x559).jpg
    DSCF0017 (800x559).jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 351
  • DSCF0018 (800x290).jpg
    DSCF0018 (800x290).jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 211
  • DSCF0019 (800x301).jpg
    DSCF0019 (800x301).jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rhall_8

That's pretty cool! I don't think I have seen anyone make a pen with egg shells. Well done.

SDB777

Sounds very complicated to be honest...but maybe it is in the way I am reading the description of what is happening?

Why did you abandon the PR casting? It might have taken longer for the PR to cure, but it would reduce the amount of time CA is being applied. But the end result is outstanding!!!

I'll have to keep an eye on the way this one gets 'done up'!

Scott (way to go) B

plantman

Sounds very complicated to be honest...but maybe it is in the way I am reading the description of what is happening?

Why did you abandon the PR casting? It might have taken longer for the PR to cure, but it would reduce the amount of time CA is being applied. But the end result is outstanding!!!

I'll have to keep an eye on the way this one gets 'done up'!

Scott; More time consuming than complicated !! I let the Tacky Glue dry 24 hours before starting to turn anything down. I abandoned the PR because this method gives me more controll of the final effect. If I wasn't happy with the results, I could always sand off some of the ink and lighten, darken, or change the color completely before applying the CA finish. Even than if I were not happy or something (me) messed up the finish, I can just cut down the CA and start over inking the shells without having to recast. At my age, you can't waste time doing things twice !!! Jim S

Top Bottom