Second bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from duderubble

duderubble

Last one for now as I'm out of blanks. I'm waiting on a green one to dry. From a tree my mother in law planted a decade ago that went down in a storm .

No idea what this wood is but I like it.

Attachments

• 20200615_123724.jpg
    20200615_123724.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 118

EricRN

Really nice looking. I'd love to get into bowl turning but am a little intimidated by anything not on a spindle. Closest I've come to bowl turning is a couple caps for pepper mills (the kind without the screws at the top) and every time the thing has gone flying. When this covid stuff runs its course, I may sign up for a class at woodcraft.

Last one for now as I'm out of blanks. I'm waiting on a green one to dry. From a tree my mother in law planted a decade ago that went down in a storm .
No idea what this wood is but I like it.
Don't take my word for it, but the grain pattern looks a little like the mimosa bowls I did for a friend... either way, nice looking bowl and love the grain pattern.

Really nice looking. I'd love to get into bowl turning but am a little intimidated by anything not on a spindle. Closest I've come to bowl turning is a couple caps for pepper mills (the kind without the screws at the top) and every time the thing has gone flying. When this covid stuff runs its course, I may sign up for a class at woodcraft.
Eric, I think a bowl is easier to turn than a spindle object... depending on how you secure it.... I always start a bowl with a face plate on the blank that will become the top of the bowl, then as I shape it, cut a tenon on the opposite side for the chuck jaws... I rarely use the internal expansion hold on a bowl... just prefer the tenon.

On your pepper mills, sounds like you do the crush grinds... when I do the tops, I do use the internal expansion hold... I cut a tenon on the top of the cap to hold it in a chuck, then drill it for the end/drive piece.... then reverse that on to a pin jaws on my chuck... I do pepper mills regularly and about half dozen or more at a time... with the cap securely held on the pin jaws, I run the lathe up to about 2000 rpms and make sure I'm using a really sharp gouge... I usually turn them into a ball shap using a bowl gouge until near the end than use my skew to smooth them.... an if I get too agressive on my turning I have to hunt for the cap.... it will definitely fly off the lathe and always go under something that makes me get down on my knees to find it... :oops::D

Top Bottom