Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ElMostro

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElMostro

Blank Material: Roasted Coffee beans, Allumilite & Pearl-ex
Pen Kit: European Gold
Finish: Sanded to MM 12000 and CA finish, several coats
Idea came from: Question posted by "Underdog" in the penturning forum.

200791619937_cropped.jpg

This is my 3rd attempt. The first and second attemps I cast in PR (I ran aout of Allumilite and could not wait to try) but since the PR does not penetrate the bean and PR is so brittle (coffee beans are also very brittle) the first two attempts the blanks flew apart on me. So I tried casting in my last bit of Allumilite and it worked! Like I said the resin will not penetrate the bean it just keeps the blank together. Once I was about 1/2 way done turning I added some CA as a precaution. As I continued to turn if I saw any dry spots I added additional CA. Things I learned:
-Coffee beans accelerate CA curing, In the first attempt I put the CA in the driiled hole of the blank and some more on the tube, when I went to insert the tube it stuck instantly only half way down.
-When sanding I used sandpaper on a popsicle stick. If you do it holding the sandpaper with your fingers you will end up with high spots at the Allumilite areas and low spots where the coffee beans are.
-If you pick up the shavings with a vaccuum every time you use it again your shop will smell like coffee :D
-Coffee beans turn like dust not shavings, if you use a white t-shirt while turning your t-shirt will end up with stains (DAMHINT)[:I]
-Snorting coffee dust is not the same as drinking it, seriously, use a dust mask the dust from the coffee beans is pretty fine

-Shameless plug, If you are interested in blanks let me know

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rhahnfl

Way to go Eugenio!!! If anyone could do it you could. I got lots of positive comments about your shredded money blanks when I gave away a cigar pen made from one as a door prize at a meeting my wife attends with her payroll group. If you do make some up for sale be sure to make plenty as I have a feeling they just might be very popular. [:D]

underdog

Hmmm.. I may need a coupla these blanks.. they do look nice.

What are you charging for blanks?

Hey can you send me one gratis since it was my idea?[:D]

This may lead to more sales actually. I've designed and manufactured a coffee display for a customer of mine. The idea for this came to me from that project, because I've showed this fellow who runs a coffee business, my ever day pen (with bands of coffee in it), and he got excited about the possibility of a pen made from coffee....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom