Search Function

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I am really impressed with the search function. πŸ”πŸ”πŸ”

We are using a really powerful search engine on the backend called Elasticsearch. I've found it blazing fast and really thorough. What's your impression?

On the other forum, the search was so bad that we used Google Site Search to augment the built-in search. I don't think that's necessary here.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

It is faster and better than the old one but looking at some searches of my stuff :rolleyes: I noticed the inline pictures show a little picture with a red X instead over it but the thumbnails are still there and working.

Last edited:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
It is faster and better than the old one but looking at some searches of my stuff :rolleyes: I noticed the inline pictures show a little picture with a red X instead over it but the thumbnails are still there and working.

What search terms did you use? I'll do a search and have a look.

TonyL

Used it last night. Fast is understatement and brought me to what i was looking for immediately. Thank you.

Dehn0045

I had some struggles with the old search system. I remembered an old search that I had tried and only got a few hits, tried it on the new system and voila 8 pages, all relevant. Also doing a general search it is easier to tell where the link will direct you (forum, thread, date, media, etc) -- I can't remember exactly how it was with the old system, but I remember struggling to sort out threads, library articles, user albums when doing just a general site search. Its clear the new system is a vast improvement.

One question: is there a way to include "forum posts" that have images when using "search media". Often folks will upload images in a post but then don't bother to add them to their "photo album". An alternative might be to include all uploaded images to a user's "photo album" (or at least give that option to the user when creating a post). Eventually I want to take the time to curate my photo album, but I just don't take the time, I suspect others are in the same boat. Anyway, my question might not be clear, I've manage to type in a circle, I'm stopping now....

jttheclockman

What search terms did you use? I'll do a search and have a look.
There are many photos that did not make the trip. Not sure what format was used to post them but I was looking through the segmented thread about Just Photos no questions, there were many in there that got lost.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
There are many photos that did not make the trip. Not sure what format was used to post them but I was looking through the segmented thread about Just Photos no questions, there were many in there that got lost.
If a post attachment didn't make it, then the post will show broken links. If you can point me to a post with missing photos, I can track them down. I have a full copy of everything, all 48GB, from the old server and I can put things where they go. For the photo album, I know all content made it because I have a before and after count. Help me find what's missing, and we'll track it down!

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
John - I looked at that thread and I see what you're referring to. I'll work on tracking those down.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member

John - You referred to this thread and you were right. A number of the photos in that thread got moved to the wrong spot. That's fixed now, and most of the photos show up. However, you will see some missing photos and there are three reasons for that, one of which can be fixed.

1 - They were posted from off-side, such as ImageShack, etc., and they're gone from that host now. Can't be fixed/recovered
2 - The old forum software, due to a bug, allowed them to be posted incorrectly. Only a few instances. Can't be fixed/recovered
3 - They were posted using the "Image Zoom" BB code (imgz) and I'm not sure we'll be bringing that back in the same format. Can be fixed.

Thanks for the heads up on missing photos.

jttheclockman

Jeff thank you. I just checked in and a whole lot of them have been restored so that is great. The others will just have to live without. Glad there was a fix. Thanks again.

Top Bottom