seam rippers??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Those that make seam rippers, is there a cap of some sort that can be put on the top of those?? Seems a bit dangerous. Thanks. where is a good place to get these and is there different types?? Any photos of some would be nice to see here.

Educate me. I see thread inserts, and seam rippers of different size. What is a better seller?? Want to add to inventory.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

The blades come out and go inside the handle. I have not sold any so I can't help out there. Some ladies like the one with the stilleto on one end. Not sure what it is used to do. I just make them and gift them to those I know who can use them.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

ripper one.jpgripper three.jpg

turnit2020

PSI sells seam ripper kits that have metal caps. Never had one that came off by itself. Have sold over a hundred over the last several years and never had one come back for that issue. Just sayin.
Turncrazy43

RobS

The blades come out and go inside the handle. I have not sold any so I can't help out there. Some ladies like the one with the stilleto on one end. Not sure what it is used to do. I just make them and gift them to those I know who can use them.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

View attachment 294584View attachment 294585
Agree, the PSI design works great.
Most customers ask that I add a little more diameter than being flush with the bushings due to arthritis. See photos. Some quilters like the awl, some prefer the small and large seam ripper.

Attachments

• 177D9943-9D11-4077-A8EC-212AFAF9544C.jpeg
    177D9943-9D11-4077-A8EC-212AFAF9544C.jpeg
    494.1 KB · Views: 131
  • 9AECCF86-A700-4C5D-B8B4-463533FD8DB4.jpeg
    9AECCF86-A700-4C5D-B8B4-463533FD8DB4.jpeg
    528.5 KB · Views: 114
  • BA977FE2-8503-468B-8A08-ACAAD4D5C6A6.jpeg
    BA977FE2-8503-468B-8A08-ACAAD4D5C6A6.jpeg
    482.3 KB · Views: 118

RobS

here are the 2 styles, most dress makers prefer the small and large ripper
Quilters like having the stiletto

So depends on you client base. for an extra $4 you can buy a spare stiletto or ripper. So you can adjust on the fly what they want.
Here is the stiletto sold seperately: https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKSR3X.html

GraiDawg

I bought a bunch from the Chinese outlet that came with all 3 (small large and stilletto) they had the rubber bushings
I bought some extra tubes and had some caps from failed Slim lines I used to make pocket versions
The stiletto is also handy as a pocket scribe/scratcher for metal or woodworking

Sawdustsmiles

I have not made any yet but according to the recommendations of the ladies wanting some, they like the stiletto on one end and small ripper on the other. They also said they would want one with a flat side on it to keep it from rolling off the table.

jttheclockman

here are the 2 styles, most dress makers prefer the small and large ripper
Quilters like having the stiletto

So depends on you client base. for an extra $4 you can buy a spare stiletto or ripper. So you can adjust on the fly what they want.
Here is the stiletto sold seperately: https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKSR3X.html
They go in on my next order from PSI or if I get a 15% coupon. I should be due one soon. I like the idea of being able to change on the fly so will get extra parts. If I were to sell these what is a reasonable going price for them??? I will have to learn to put some fancy beads or something in them. Will need to look at some examples. I know one design I want to copy and that is PenPal's (Peter) has a unique talent for taking slimlines and dressing them up with some bead and cove work that is not too over the top. I think I can use that on some of these rippers. SHHHHHHHHHHH do not tell him:):):)

RobS

min of $36 for family and that is assuming I did not buy an alternate stilletto. That is assuming I used a $4 blank + $8 kit +$2 box =$14 in parts

Sawdustsmiles

I have not made any yet but according to the recommendations of the ladies wanting some, they like the stiletto on one end and small ripper on the other. They also said they would want one with a flat side on it to keep it from rolling off the table.
Yes exactly. I made mine then sanded one side down flat on belt sander. Then back on arbor and finish. Don't roll off the table.

Attachments

• 20210217_003224.jpg
    20210217_003224.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 20210217_005354.jpg
    20210217_005354.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 67

MTViper

I've made over 100 of these. Never included a box. Usually sold them for $20 each. I make them with a seam ripper on one end and a stiletto or needle threader on the other.

I agree with the comment about flat sides. Keeps them from rolling off the cutting table or sewing table. I also made some in fatter sizes. Many who sew are getting older and appreciate having something more substantial to hold onto with arthritic hands. For the larger ones, I use 1" square blanks rather then pen blank size.

I've made both the PSI ones and the Berea ones. The Berea ones use "O" rings to keep them in the tubes and the PSI ones use springs. Since PSI has lengthened the springs, they hold better than the old springs did. If you use the ones with the "O" rings, give your customer some extras because pulling them out of and putting them into the tubes will wear out the "O" rings

Top Bottom