Seam rippers, with a twist?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from AlanZ

AlanZ

Here are my first three seam rippers.

The third has a little twist... mating it with a Jr Gent body. So it has two twists... or threads to be precise. It can be capped, and the cap can be posted.

The normal hole in the Jr Gent is a little large for the blue tang, but I narrowed the hole with a little epoxy, and after the glue dried, filed it to fit the tang.

Now I'm working on a pin chuck to make turning and finishing the closed end easier (especially with acrylics).
I will likely insert a 7mm brass tube into future handles to facilitate the use of the pin chuck.

Fun stuff.

Attachments

• seam_rippers.jpg
    seam_rippers.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mark

Pretty cool. I wander if a necklace pen could be altered to work. May have to try that one.

ctubbs

How cool! That third one in the jr. Gent is outstanding. How did you ever come up with that idea? The other two are very good, also.
Charles

AlanZ

The JR Gent was one of a batch I got from Smitty, so it looks similar to (if not the same as) the Apprentice series. So it's pretty cost effective.

The trick is getting a good fit into the barrel, and making sure that it's in far enough so that the cap can screw on fully.

As to how I came up with this... let's just say that I tend to think outside of the box (or is it barrel?). I like taking the road less traveled <vbg>

nava1uni

Here are my first three seam rippers.

The third has a little twist... mating it with a Jr Gent body. So it has two twists... or threads to be precise. It can be capped, and the cap can be posted.

The normal hole in the Jr Gent is a little large for the blue tang, but I narrowed the hole with a little epoxy, and after the glue dried, filed it to fit the tang.

Now I'm working on a pin chuck to make turning and finishing the closed end easier (especially with acrylics).
I will likely insert a 7mm brass tube into future handles to facilitate the use of the pin chuck.

Fun stuff.

I made a wooden jam chuck that fits into the drilled hole and it allows me to turn the end without a tail stock to finish the last piece. I like the ripper that utilizes the Jr. Gent body. Very nice and quilters will appreciate the look and travel ability.

Top Bottom