Seam Ripper Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi all,

I have a request from a customer that would like a 90 degree pick, or awl type end, on one end of the seam ripper. She will use it for loom knitting. Looking at the stiletto end, I was wondering if the stiletto could be removed and a different end epoxied in. Any idea if this would work and how I would go about trying to remove the stiletto?

My other option is to turn a separate handle and epoxy in a 90 degree pick.

Thanks,
Jeff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
PSI, and others, have kits you can buy that has the pick you're talking about. You don't glue the pick or ripper in, there's a small, very thin piece you slide into the tube that holds the end in place. The ends are intended to be pulled out, turned over and placed back into the tube so that the ripper/pick end is not exposed during use, only one side at a time is exposed. I hope this helps and I hope your customer enjoys what you put together.

rholiday

Never tried to remove the stiletto end. Doesn't look like it would be easy to do.

Another option may be to turn a plug or dowel that would fit the one end of the seam ripper. Glue the plug in place and drill it for the 90 degree end that is requested and glue that into the hole.

Bob

Maybe I misunderstood the question. I was thinking of something like this (Item #: PKSR4CH) from PSI. No glue needed and you can customize the ripper with different ends.

Shock me

Maybe I misunderstood the question. I was thinking of something like this (Item #: PKSR4CH) from PSI. No glue needed and you can customize the ripper with different ends.

I was wondering what you were referring to, was there a pick tool available? Maybe the confusion is the OP asked about a 90 degree pick or an awl. To me, the stiletto tip is pretty close to an awl, but I'm unaware of a pick.

So back to OP- I suppose the stiletto tip could be removed and a pick epoxied in, but not especially easy. I don't know what kind of pick a loom knitter needs, but could the stiletto tip be bent 90 degrees, maybe with a little blow torch help? If the pick tip is available separately, I too like the idea of turning a plug out of whatever the body of the seam ripper is made of (to keep that end reversible/interchangeable) or just make the body closed ended on one side, drill a hole through for the pick and epoxy the pick direct into the body.

I was wondering what you were referring to, was there a pick tool available? Maybe the confusion is the OP asked about a 90 degree pick or an awl. To me, the stiletto tip is pretty close to an awl, but I'm unaware of a pick.

So back to OP- I suppose the stiletto tip could be removed and a pick epoxied in, but not especially easy. I don't know what kind of pick a loom knitter needs, but could the stiletto tip be bent 90 degrees, maybe with a little blow torch help? If the pick tip is available separately, I too like the idea of turning a plug out of whatever the body of the seam ripper is made of (to keep that end reversible/interchangeable) or just make the body closed ended on one side, drill a hole through for the pick and epoxy the pick direct into the body.

In my thinking, I'm putting the pick and stiletto in the same category. Sorry for the confusion...for all of us.

My original question could have been worded better. I make many seam rippers, but was looking for a way to unglue the stiletto end from the end cap and epoxy in a 90 degree pick. I have no idea what kind of glue was used or how to dissolve it. Giving my customer a seam ripper with a ripper end, stiletto, and a 90 degree pick would have been awesome. In the end, I just turned a long handle from an acrylic pen blank in her favorite color and drilled a tiny hole about 1 1/2 inches deep in one end. I bought a small pick set from Harbor Freight that had a 90 degree pick, cut off the handle from it, and epoxied it into the new handle. It turned out pretty nice, and the contours are similar to my seam rippers. My wife did me a favor and mailed it right out before I could get a picture of it. I know, no pictures - didn't happen, right? You all will just have to trust me....
Thanks to all for the input, and I apologize for any confusion.

penicillin

I kept thinking that you would try bending an existing stiletto. Did you try that or would it have been too short?

It would have been too short for her purpose. I also doubt it would bend without heat, and I didn't want to either break it or discolor it. She received it in the mail last night and said it works perfectly and fits her hand nicely. I'm waiting to see if there is a need for more of these….friends don't let friends use standard store bought tools!

Top Bottom