Seam ripper fit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RunnerVince

I recently got a number of seam rippers from PSI. About half the time, I leave the clips off. The last one I did, I put the clip on, and the fit between the finial and the clip was off. The finial was maybe 1/32" larger all around. It's very easy to feel. I checked my remaining kits, and it's the same for them as well. It's also the same on one I did a while back but haven't sold yet. I don't remember if I noticed it back then and just forgot, or whether I'm just seeing it now, but the issue has obviously been around for a while.

I don't think most customers will care, but it really bothers me. I spend a lot of time getting the fit right between the turned blank and the hardware, and it's frustrating to have that ruined by hardware that doesn't mate well with itself.

Has anyone else noticed this? And can anyone recommend an alternative seam ripper kit with better fit? In the meantime, I'll just be leaving the clip off all the seam rippers I do.

Thanks everyone! Happy turning.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I often use calipers to match the hardware since I am picky about the fit. Each plating seems to have its own tolerance. The more important the project, the more calipers are used.

d_bondi

I often use calipers to match the hardware since I am picky about the fit. Each plating seems to have its own tolerance. The more important the project, the more calipers are used.
It is hard to know for sure, since there was no picture included to help visualize the issue, but I think that the issue that Vince is not happy with isn't the fit of his turning, but the difference in diameter of the clip ring and finial. A delta there would be a kit issue.

RunnerVince

As d_bondi guessed, my issue is the fit between the clip and finial. The difference isn't enough to show in a photo because of the reflective chrome finish, but you can feel the "sharp" edge of the finial if you run your finger up from the clip.

RunnerVince

Yes have experienced same thing with the gold plated ones. The finial & clip assembly on the chrome ones seldom cause cause no problems during assembly. Quite often either break or bend the gold plated clips. This one has caused no issues https://www.penblanks.ca/single-seam-ripper-kit-chrome during assembly for either single or double seam rippers
Does anyone know if that model seam ripper is available in the U.S.?

Top Bottom