SE Mind Bender Contest #5

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Here is Mind Bender #5 - this is a simple Wood Identification Contest

You need to answer 2 questions:

1. What tree did these blanks come from? (a common name or the scientific name will be accepted)
2. What part of the tree did these blanks come from (limb, trunk or root)?

Send your 2 answers to iap.puzzles@gmail.com and put "Mind Bender #5" or something to that effect in the subject so I will know which contest you are entering. As always, only one entry per person.

Each question is worth 1 point toward the overall point total of
this contest. Everyone earning at least one point will be eligible for an individual prize for this contest (unless you win some other Mind Bender prize.)

Here's a hint: This is a native Texas tree, but these blanks did not come from my farms.

This contest will remain open until sometime on Monday, Aug 29.

Banter is encouraged, but please do not post any real hints.

Have fun - let me know if you have any questions.

Edgar

Attachments

• MindBender5.jpg
    MindBender5.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 319
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

Clearly TickleThornaSuppleSass! Comes from the woody section of the tree/shrub/bush. I know you said not to post answers but that was too easy:confused::biggrin:

DigBaddy72

Wow...that was...easy? Either:
1) I'm getting better at these puzzles.
2) I'm getting better at using Google.
3) I'm so far off base that I am playing a different sport.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
A Few Hours Left

Mind Bender #5 will close sometime this evening, so you still have a little time to get your entries in.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Mind Bender #5 Results

Mind Bender #5 is now closed.

The correct answers for this contest were:

MESQUITE - ROOT

We had 9 entries and no one got the wood right. Two people got the root part right & they will each earn one point for this contest.

Interestingly, 7 of the entrants guessed Texas Ebony and 2 guessed Desert Ironwood.

Honey Mesquite heartwood can have different shades depending on what part of the state it grows. This particular specimen was given to me by a friend from his property near Bracketville, TX. Trunk & limb wood from the mesquite in that area has a darker reddish color than what grows on our property in Goliad County and the root wood from his trees is a very dark red color.

Here is a link to a few pens made from this mesquite root wood that I posted about a year ago. :)

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/what-blanks-look-best-antique-brass-134368/index2.html

Top Bottom