SCUBA pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

Has anybody made a SCUBA pen from Woodturningz? I searched, but nothing came up. I'd like to see some photos of competed pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
While I was not aware of this kit, as a diver myself, this is GREAT!

A few years ago I turned a great blank that would be a good match: SCUBA Blank

IMG_2823.jpg

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Those blanks are beyond cool!
Pretty neat...also a diver.
Also a diver, will have to check these out.

I have no stake in the blanks from Exotics, but I will say that they turned easily, finished awesome, and were very appreciated by the diver who received it! I will be ordering some of the kits Jim noted in the OP as they look great. Also, there is a Pirate's Kit ava from PSI and their distributors (Exotics, etc). Just an FYI. 🤭

Jay

Also a diver. Also interested in seeing photos of finished pens. I think they would be great gifts for my diving buddies, but they are a bit pricey and would like some feedback on quality too.
Jay

Kenny Durrant

Also a diver but an old, fat wore out one. The pens are nice. I was on vacation with my wife and was diving and we saw two nice either white or black tip sharks. If I can't remember what I've seen maybe that's a good reason to stay out of the water. I got a decent picture of one and cast it on a pen. That was long before all the nice CMC blanks were available.

Dieseldoc

Also a diver, seems like we have a few that turn pens. Need to order a couple blanks from Ed for my diving buddies get together. We have a lunch every three months to catch up on what new in the diving world.
Having dive all over the South Pacific and taking lot of photo's need to find a way to transfer the image to a pen blank.

Sataro

Can no longer say a diver, only use to dive off of Okinawa long ago. Really like that diver pen!

qquake

That is an amazing looking pen! I was originally thinking about making one of these for our Make-A-Wish kid, one of his wishes is to go scuba diving. But since he plays piano, I made him a PSI music pen instead.

Attachments

• 074.jpg
    074.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 174

magpens

Not a diver, but just to say .....

I can vouch for the quality of the Jeff Powell Rotacrylic blanks, as shown by Mark in the second post above. . Highly recommended !

I have made a lot of them (not the diver one) and they are excellent to turn and finish ... no problems whatsoever.

Jay

JettLake,
Thanks for posting the pictures. Can you give us some feedback on the quality, assembly, and overall feel of the scuba pen.
jay

JettLake

JettLake,
Thanks for posting the pictures. Can you give us some feedback on the quality, assembly, and overall feel of the scuba pen.
jay
The quality is good, the pen is heavy, not an everyday pen. The only problem I had was when I pushed the cap on and then pushed the center band on, and then I realized the top needed to be pushed on more and when I did that the center band bent a little because I wasn't careful. It is not really noticeable because of all the detail. I started a second one but the hybrid blank I was turning chipped. I got more tubes but haven't gone back to it yet.

Jay

JettLake,

Thanks for the info. I think I will order a few and make them as Christmas gifts for my diving buddies.

Jay

Jay

I ordered the scuba pen in gold and antique brass. I like the antique brass the best. It accents the details better. Here are some photos taken with my iPhone camera so the quality is anything but great. I highly recommend the pen. Pricey, but I think it is worth it as gifts for my dive friends.
IMG_5308.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5312.jpeg
    IMG_5312.jpeg
    265.1 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_5313.jpeg
    IMG_5313.jpeg
    228.1 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_5314.jpeg
    IMG_5314.jpeg
    573.7 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_5315.jpeg