Scroll vs Collet for holding a mandrel?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

rgundersen

I see everyone talking about the collet chucks recently and of course that makes me want to go rigt out and buy one.

At the moment though I am working on keeping my spouse happy and as such need to avoid spending more muney on the lathe at the moment.

So my question is does anyone use a scroll chuck to hold the mandrel or is there some base problem with that setup that I am not seeing with regards to centering or some such thing?

Thanks,
Robert

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

I use a scroll chuck, can't compare it to the Collet chuck but I do now it made an improvement over the morse taper. some of that is issues my lathe has that don't show up as much with chuck holding the mandrel. my only complaint is the chuck can easily be a knuckle buster if you are not careful. I've had a couple of grazes but nothing serious. have gotten used to it now so even close calls are rare. still a little inconvenient at times though.

Randy_

Originally posted by Daniel
<br />....my only complaint is the chuck can easily be a knuckle buster if you are not careful. I've had a couple of grazes but nothing serious. have gotten used to it now so even close calls are rare. still a little inconvenient at times though.

I bought a little elastic gizmo from Lee Valley that slips over the chuck and offers a little protection. You will still get rapped if you are really careless; but it does help a little.

http://www.leevalley.com/shopping/TechInfo.aspx?p=42059

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
For what it is worth, I have tried MT with screw in mandrels, Berea's drill driver which fits in the MT, and my jacobs chuck in the MT. The greatest accuracy I have gotten is with the 6 jawed collets in the collet chuck. It is simply which works best for you, and what level of accuracy you desire.

wayneis

I've tried about everything on the market and for my money the collet chuck is the best. Also, I recently tried outBB's new expanding chuck for closed end pens and I am extremely impressed with them. Very easy to use, no slipping, you can take the blank off and when you put it back on it is perfectly centered. Great little tool.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom