Scroll Saw Rose

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from D.Oliver

D.Oliver

This is a piece I made somewhere between 12 and 15 years ago. This week it ended up back in my shop for some repair because the rose has come unglued from the backer board. I built the frame from pine and stained it. The backer board is just a piece of 1/4 plywood painted flat black. The rose was cut from 1/4" material and glued to the backer board (though maybe not well enough, seeing as it came unglued). Now that it's all one piece again I thought I would snap a few pics and share it. I'm kind of glad it came back because I don't think I have any pics of it from when I originally made it. I know there is at least one other scroller (jttheclockman) that hangs around here that might enjoy this.

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyW

There would be three of us Derek, if I didn't keep going cross eyed trying to follow the pattern lines, something made worse by only having one that works properly ... I am trying to use spiral blades for a change, to see if I fare better with them, but I cannot get the bottom blade clamp to hold them. I therefore keep going back to the more dependable pin ended blades.

Tony.

jttheclockman

There would be three of us Derek, if I didn't keep going cross eyed trying to follow the pattern lines, something made worse by only having one that works properly ... I am trying to use spiral blades for a change, to see if I fare better with them, but I cannot get the bottom blade clamp to hold them. I therefore keep going back to the more dependable pin ended blades.

Tony.

Tony, spiral blades takes some training to get the hang of using them. Is the saw your using an old Dremel?? That is about the only saw that I know that still has the adapters for pin ended blades:biggrin: You would be far better off with flat end blades. They are the standard in the scrolling world.:) If your spiral blades have the round ends try flattening them in a vise. One other factor with any blades, they all come through with oil on them from the manufacturing process and this will cause slipping out of clamps. I always sand the ends of the blades before using. I am a big Flying Dutchman blade user and believe they are the best on the market.

This is a piece I made somewhere between 12 and 15 years ago. This week it ended up back in my shop for some repair because the rose has come unglued from the backer board. I built the frame from pine and stained it. The backer board is just a piece of 1/4 plywood painted flat black. The rose was cut from 1/4" material and glued to the backer board (though maybe not well enough, seeing as it came unglued). Now that it's all one piece again I thought I would snap a few pics and share it. I'm kind of glad it came back because I don't think I have any pics of it from when I originally made it. I know there is at least one other scroller (jttheclockman) that hangs around here that might enjoy this.

View attachment 150614

View attachment 150613

Hello Derek. I did take notice and in fact whenever anyone shows off scroll sawn items I take notice. That is a very nice looking piece of art work. Nice cutting.

Not sure how you glue your overlay items on to the backerboard but a little trick I like to use is take a sponge and cut in small pieces. I put some glue on a piece of wax paper and then dip the sponge in the glue and dab the back of the overlay pieces. I can then glue all areas of the piece without failure. Just need to be careful not to use too much glue that it runs on the sides. What the sponge does is allows air pockets so the glue fills in better. Never had a failure. I also use Titebond II glue. As an example::):)

My entry into the rose picture. Scrolled and backed with red, pink and green mirror.:):)

D.Oliver

I am a big Flying Dutchman blade user and believe they are the best on the market.

Not sure how you glue your overlay items on to the backerboard but a little trick I like to use is take a sponge and cut in small pieces. I put some glue on a piece of wax paper and then dip the sponge in the glue and dab the back of the overlay pieces. I can then glue all areas of the piece without failure. Just need to be careful not to use too much glue that it runs on the sides. What the sponge does is allows air pockets so the glue fills in better. Never had a failure. I also use Titebond II glue.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JTTHECLOCKMAN/media/Copy_of_mirrored_roses.jpg.html

100% agree on the Flying Dutchman blades. That's is also a great tip on the glue up John. Thanks.

TonyW

Tony.

Tony, spiral blades takes some training to get the hang of using them. Is the saw your using an old Dremel?? That is about the only saw that I know that still has the adapters for pin ended blades:biggrin: You would be far better off with flat end blades. They are the standard in the scrolling world.:) If your spiral blades have the round ends try flattening them in a vise. One other factor with any blades, they all come through with oil on them from the manufacturing process and this will cause slipping out of clamps. I always sand the ends of the blades before using. I am a big Flying Dutchman blade user and believe they are the best on the market.

Thanks for this advice John. My saw is an oldish Rexon with blade clamps that can hold either type of blade, the pinless ones with a hex socket grub screw. The spiral blades came from Switzerland though, but I never thought of them being oiled. I will try some Sandvik plain ended flat blades that I also got to try now, after de-oiling, however, before going back to pinned blades.

Tony.

JohnU

Love it all. I've relief cut some roses in a few box lids but I've not scrolled any roses out like this. I remember the days of working my way out and messing up an outer line ruining the project after all the time spent getting that far. It's been a while but I never quite got the hang of spiral blades either. Lol. Intarsia was my favorite work on the scroll saw but the sanding sucked! Lol. Great work guys!

Mr Vic

Been a while but did a fair amount of scroll work on my Shopsmith. Nothing fancy, mostly Christmas ornaments. Found a Dremal scroll saw at Goodwill for $5 and use that from time to time. Never enough time for woodwork!

Top Bottom