Screw extractor kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Hard to do because we have no idea what it is you want to do and there are sets from 6 piece to 48 piece and run into hundreds of dollars. Any basic extractor will get out basic screws. IRWIN makes some of the best carbon steel kits out there. As I said they have many different kits for screws and bolts.

WriteON

Hard to do because we have no idea what it is you want to do and there are sets from 6 piece to 48 piece and run into hundreds of dollars. Any basic extractor will get out basic screws. IRWIN makes some of the best carbon steel kits out there. As I said they have many different kits for screws and bolts.
Gotcha. I'm looking for 4-6 piece kit. Will look at Irwin. I like their products. Thanks....

leehljp

Member Liaison
Something I rarely hear people mention is an impact screw extractor. I have one that I have had for almost 50 years. I have had to clean it a couple of times and re-oil it, but it still works and does it well for removing screws 90% stripped. And with the Irwin set below, will do excellent. Use a hammer on it; it jars the screw and backs it out about 1/18th of a turn for each blow.

IMPACT screw extractor

Irwin Screw Extractor BITS

FGarbrecht

I've been able to get some stripped screws out without a screw extractor just using a hammerdrill and phillips head bit.

penicillin

I have several different types of screw extractors. The choice depends on the specific problem I face.

Sometimes you can press very hard with a good screwdriver and force the screw to rotate. If the screwdriver you are using doesn't work, look at the screw and screwdriver carefully and be sure you are using the best possible match. I have observed that people often use Phillips screwdrivers that are too small for the screw they are turning, and thus have a poor match that strips. For some reason, the "right" Phillips screwdriver looks too big to me, but it is the correct fit. I try to teach people to try a "too-large" Phillips screwdriver first. They are often surprised when it is the correct fit for the small screw they are turning. The same is true for other screw types - flathead, Robertson (square), Torx (star), Allen (hex), etc. Make sure you are using the correct tip in the correct size. Torx drivers may work in Allen screws and vice-versa, but they are not the right match, for example.

I assume that you already tried the above, and the screw is still stuck.

Sometimes you can cut a "new" fitting for your screwdriver and extract the screw. I have used a dremel tool or a file to cut a thin slot in the top of the screw and then use a flathead screwdriver to remove it. Depending on the situation, you can use a hammer and something with a chisel-like tip to bang a slot, maybe to help an impact wrench get a start.

Sometimes you can get a purchase (grip) on the broken screw and jerk it to move. An impact wrench with a sharp, well-placed, well-fitted tip can do that, but it can also do a lot of damage.

Sometimes you can use a reverse-threaded tip or screw to back out the broken screw. Sometimes you have to shape the broken screw so that the reverse-threads have something to grip. Usually that means drilling an accurate hole in the top.

Sometimes you can drill out the broken screw with successfully larger drill bits, until the broken screw is so thin that you can pull the remains of the broken screw's threads out of the hole.

Finally, there are small "hole saws" that cut around the broken screw, similar to a plug cutter. Cut past the screw tip. Snap off the plug/screw by inserting a thin blade down one side and prying gently. Glue a hardwood dowel to fill the hole.

I hope this helps.

WriteON

Top Bottom