Scrap wood project

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bsshog40

bsshog40

I know I haven't been on here much lately but with the covid, my $'s have been stretched thin this past year. Anyway, I never throw any lumber away as I'm sure most of you don't either. Well I get a little into astronomy. I have a couple telescopes and I'm usually having to pull out the old fold out chair to look thru my scope with. I had heard of a Denver chair (observing chair) that is adjustable for viewing. So I looked on line and seen some pics of them. I thought, heck I can build one of those. So it's a combination of pine, dowel rod (1 1/4" lathed down to 1") and a little hardy panel. I did have to by the 3/8" threaded rod for the adjustable leg extension. The seat and footrest raise and lower and the overall height is about 4' which is plenty high enough. Anyway, here is my scrap wood made Observing Chair. Lol

Attachments

• Observing Chair done.jpg
    Observing Chair done.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 188
  • Observing Chair Project2.jpg
    Observing Chair Project2.jpg
    394.8 KB · Views: 182
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Nice Bobby. I had never heard of a Denver chair, until now. Although when rarely observing, I certainly felt the need for one.

Thank you!

bsshog40

You know a little piece of chain in lieu of the threaded rod would maybe make it more portable??
Well I found some chain in the shop today. Bolted it in at the base and pinned at the rear. Pin fits nice and tight so I can adjust if I need to. Thanks for the idea Chuck. Seems like it's gonna work pretty good. Folds right up.
Observing Chair done3.jpg

Observing Chair done4.jpg

great,glad it worked for you.... I use two A-frame ladders to hold my bowl display shelves when doling shows... I use the chain to keep them from spreading too far apart... then just fold them together to pack up.

Top Bottom