Schmidt SKM-88 Disassembled

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi,

I have gotten to know the SKM-88 quite well and thought I'd share some photos of one disassembled. I have taken it apart at least a dozen times using just my fingernails to press off the C-clip, and press it back into place. I have not found disassembly or reassembly difficult and the tiny ball bearing has always stayed in the housing (though I have been careful to hold the housing level and not shake or bump it!). If anybody has any questions about the mechanism, I'd be happy to try to answer them.

Attachments

• IMG_0331.jpeg
    IMG_0331.jpeg
    760.3 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_0332.jpeg
    IMG_0332.jpeg
    747.7 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_0333.jpeg
    IMG_0333.jpeg
    646.1 KB · Views: 274
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Thanks for posting these pics, Chris !

I find it useful to see these pictures and to know about your success with disassembly and re-assembly of the SKM-88.

Not that I plan to disassemble, but just to know what the internals look like.

guitarchitect

Just took one apart and of course the first thing that happened is the little ball rolled out 😅😅

So as it turns out, the little ball is just sitting loosely in a channel inside of the mechanism. long as you can get it back inside of that little channel, it seems to function just fine.

however, be REALLY CAREFUL if it falls out! it's so tiny!!!! luckily mine rolled out onto the mat I was disassembling on so it was easy to find. i picked it up with the tiniest tweezers I could, held it firmly... and it PROMPTLY VANISHED! i could hear it bouncing around so i waited for it to stop, and began to look. while looking i heard it start bouncing again so clearly it fell off my counter. i waited for the bouncing sound to stop, grabbed a retractable magnet wand, and after 10 mins of sweeping the floor with it finally found it. instead of "holding" it i just set it on top of my tweezers, got it back inside the channel, and it works like new.

hopefully this helps anyone who finds themselves in a similar circumstance!

Top Bottom