Schmidt clicker with Pilot G2 Gel and roll stop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from budnder

budnder

Still not crazy about the tall look of the click mechanism, but it has a nice action. I wish it had a wee bit more travel also... The roll stop is a little pink angel. The blank is some cutoffs cast in Liquid Diamonds. Both ends are glued in (no tube)... you unscrew the click mechanism to change the refill.

WWClick-9439.jpg
WWClick.jpg
WWClick-9440.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Nice work !!! . Thanks for showing !!!

I agree with you about the "tall look". . We'll have to work on recessing the threaded part of the Schmidt into the top end of the pen (as in your diagram).

budnder

Nice work !!! . Thanks for showing !!!

I agree with you about the "tall look". . We'll have to work on recessing the threaded part of the Schmidt into the top end of the pen (as in your diagram).

Yeah, I'm thinking I should have recessed it even more, though because it's angled, the more you recess the bigger the "gap" at the end.

I suppose the best solution is to probably just have a blank design that works with that tallness..

magpens

Yeah, I'm thinking I should have recessed it even more, though because it's angled, the more you recess the bigger the "gap" at the end.

I suppose the best solution is to probably just have a blank design that works with that tallness..

@budnder

Roy, I am aware of the angled design of the Schmidt SKM-88 and the resulting gap widening as you recess. . As you may be aware, there is a recent commercial kit employing this clicker which is sold in Canada but, lamentably, is not available for shipping to the US, at this time.

I did present on IAP a pen made with that kit. . It is called the "Luxor" and I like its design very much; you can inspect this kit at the vendor site:

budnder

@budnder

Roy, I am aware of the angled design of the Schmidt SKM-88 and the resulting gap widening as you recess. . As you may be aware, there is a recent commercial kit employing this clicker which is sold in Canada but, lamentably, is not available for shipping to the US, at this time.

I did present on IAP a pen made with that kit. . It is called the "Luxor" and I like its design very much; you can inspect this kit at the vendor site:

I probably should have spent a bit more time on the design. I do recall looking at that when you posted it Mal, and noting that they did the thing you originally suggested with encasing a bit of the mechanism. Actually, I recall you even trying it by modding a pen you had done. Now that I go back and look at that Luxor, I see they went for more overlap than I did, which I think is a better look.

My wife generally complains that the pens I make are too heavy for everyday use. A Pilot G2 clicker is her benchmark of a great every day pen, so it's always been kind of a quest of mine to design something that she would like better. I'll be curious to see how this one fares. She loves the use of local wood and colorful resins, and it's using the same refill... so all I've got left to conquer is the way it feels in the hand. The best kit clicker, in her opinion, is the Compson, which I think is interesting as it's not a kit that gets much love from pen makers.

budnder

Out of curiosity, I went into the wife's pen cup, which has her "daily use" pens. Some of them I made, some are purchased - she is agnostic as to their origin or cost - it goes into the cup if she likes using it. She likes clickers and only tolerates twist pens. So here's a pic of what's in the cup by weight:

20200102_141148.jpg

Top Bottom