Schmidt Click "Throw Distance" Issue?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Hi Folks:

I have probably made 40 to 60 EDC and EDC Classics. For the first time, I am experiencing an issue with the point not extending and retracting enough on the EDC Classic (of the two this has the longer barrel and no white plastic extender). I even made the shorter-barrel pen without the extended and there was no problem.

So far, I have:
  • Disassembled and checked the barrel length
  • Ensured that all parts are flush with ends and screwed-in snuggly
  • Changed refills from stock to Schmidt
  • Throughly cleaned inside barrel
  • Couldn't find any debris on the Schmidt mechanism
  • Made sure the parts composing the click-mechanism itself and the coupling, clip and click button were seated correctly and snugly
  • Before, re-assembling, I even shortened the length of the barrel (1mm). And believe it or not (and this seems to defy math and carpentry), I am not that much better off. The point now extends enough, but retracts just flush with the hole of the lower grip section.
The only think I can think of is that the "throw" (I do not know what else to call the mechanism's distance of travel) is off. I will replace the mechanism with another and see what happens, but I was curious to know if anyone else experience this.

Thanks for reading and sharing your experience.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rixstix

• Are there any restrictions within the nose cone? I had a nose cone with a burr that would catch on the refill.
  • Does it work better if you loosen the mechanism a turn or two? I had a refill that was catching inside the upper end of the body or was being skewed off-center of the mechanism.

RichAldrich

Hi Folks:

I have probably made 40 to 60 EDC and EDC Classics. For the first time, I am experiencing an issue with the point not extending and retracting enough on the EDC Classic (of the two this has the longer barrel and no white plastic extender). I even made the shorter-barrel pen without the extended and there was no problem.

So far, I have:
  • Disassembled and checked the barrel length
  • Ensured that all parts are flush with ends and screwed-in snuggly
  • Changed refills from stock to Schmidt
  • Throughly cleaned inside barrel
  • Couldn't find any debris on the Schmidt mechanism
  • Made sure the parts composing the click-mechanism itself and the coupling, clip and click button were seated correctly and snugly
  • Before, re-assembling, I even shortened the length of the barrel (1mm). And believe it or not (and this seems to defy math and carpentry), I am not that much better off. The point now extends enough, but retracts just flush with the hole of the lower grip section.
The only think I can think of is that the "throw" (I do not know what else to call the mechanism's distance of travel) is off. I will replace the mechanism with another and see what happens, but I was curious to know if anyone else experience this.

Thanks for reading and sharing your experience.
Tony:
I have had the same issues with the Schmidt Sierra chrome and nickel from woodcraft.

I removed the click mechanism. I am wondering if the click mechanism moved or separated after installation? All I have so far. Thanks.

TonyL

• Are there any restrictions within the nose cone? I had a nose cone with a burr that would catch on the refill.
  • Does it work better if you loosen the mechanism a turn or two? I had a refill that was catching inside the upper end of the body or was being skewed off-center of the mechanism.
Thank you. No visible restrictions; I even replaced the cone with one that works fine. I also tried several refills (3 brands: Schmidt 9000M, stock, and Unibene. Thanks for the ideas.

TonyL

Tony:
I have had the same issues with the Schmidt Sierra chrome and nickel from woodcraft.

I removed the click mechanism. I am wondering if the click mechanism moved or separated after installation? All I have so far. Thanks.
thanks Rich. I have taken the mechanism apart, even loosened the plunger cap by a few threads, I am going to try replacing the mechanism. it can't be anything to difficult. thanks again.

randyrls

Tony; I'm sure you already know this. For any click pen you need to make a "pusher block" when pressing in the top mechanism. It is just a pen cutoff with a hole in it that allows the assembly pressure to hit the outside of the pen, and not on the mechanism top knot. The Wall St II with the Schmidt mechanism seems to have a longer distance between extended and retracted. I wrote an article on how to estimate the blank length.
https://www.penturners.org/resources/adjusting-ink-tip-extension.236/

I just finished one of these and found with this particlular pen it is much easier to lay the pen down in a V groove to check lengths.

Hope this helps...

TonyL

Tony; I'm sure you already know this. For any click pen you need to make a "pusher block" when pressing in the top mechanism. It is just a pen cutoff with a hole in it that allows the assembly pressure to hit the outside of the pen, and not on the mechanism top knot. The Wall St II with the Schmidt mechanism seems to have a longer distance between extended and retracted. I wrote an article on how to estimate the blank length.
https://www.penturners.org/resources/adjusting-ink-tip-extension.236/

I just finished one of these and found with this particlular pen it is much easier to lay the pen down in a V groove to check lengths.

Hope this helps...
Yes, thank you. I don't mind being reminded and it is good for others to be aware of anything that helps.

TonyL

Please let us know if it works. Thanks.
I replaced the mechanism and it worked. However, I was able to troubleshoot the issue (so it wasn't the mechanism per se). It appears that that pen's design is not very forgiving (remember, just my opinion) when it comes to the point extension (just made-up that term, but u know what I mean). Assuming the tube length and all else is turned and assembled correctly (and refill length is good and no burrs), the "throw" of the mechanism can be corrected slightly altered by ensuring the brass nut that rides along the brass mechanism pin (with the flutes) is screwed as far as it can be, the white nylon plunger is seat just right (which is somewhat of a judgement/"feel" call), and that the metal plunger cap is seated just right. The combination of all of these variables produce the throw (assuming the mechanism was machined correctly). I also watched the PSI assembly video for that pen. The assembly is shown without any barrel material. You can see that the point doesn't protrude much even at its max. I think it is somewhat of a design flaw given the dimensions of the lower section. FWIW.

RichAldrich

I replaced the mechanism and it worked. However, I was able to troubleshoot the issue (so it wasn't the mechanism per se). It appears that that pen's design is not very forgiving (remember, just my opinion) when it comes to the point extension (just made-up that term, but u know what I mean). Assuming the tube length and all else is turned and assembled correctly (and refill length is good and no burrs), the "throw" of the mechanism can be corrected slightly altered by ensuring the brass nut that rides along the brass mechanism pin (with the flutes) is screwed as far as it can be, the white nylon plunger is seat just right (which is somewhat of a judgement/"feel" call), and that the metal plunger cap is seated just right. The combination of all of these variables produce the throw (assuming the mechanism was machined correctly). I also watched the PSI assembly video for that pen. The assembly is shown without any barrel material. You can see that the point doesn't protrude much even at its max. I think it is somewhat of a design flaw given the dimensions of the lower section. FWIW.
Thanks Tony!!!!

Top Bottom