Scalloped bronze overlay fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jalbert

jalbert

I started playing around with bronze casting again, this weekend. I got this new "transparent bronze" color acrylic, so I figured I should pair it with bronze hardware. I carved the clip and overlay from wax, and then cast them in bronze. I spent hours carving the overlay to minimize post-casting cleanup, however it still required a bit of sculpting and cleanup. The pen's about 5.25" long. I cut triple lead threads for the cap, and since the overlay has the scallops spaced 120 degrees apart, the clip lines up with a scallop no matter how you put the cap on. It uses a jowo 6 nib. Rose gold plating would probably match better, however I don't have any on me, so I had to use a stock gold plated nib.
53D40F66-5D20-4A72-B748-A3C8F1EDCD66.jpeg
6FE82251-57F5-4B69-9946-9171315FA524.jpeg
5CB63DB1-F096-46AD-A5D7-BA48A92E4275.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jalbert

Why on earth didn't you enter any of the contests? My gosh man that is a real work of art. Just beyond beautiful
I've been wondering the same thing. His work is hands-down one of my favorites on this site. Maybe the competition wouldn't be fair ;)--his work is also pretty recognizable.
Ha! Thanks you two. I didn't have anything cool enough to enter in time!

Fred Bruche

I've been wondering the same thing. His work is hands-down one of my favorites on this site. Maybe the competition wouldn't be fair ;)--his work is also pretty recognizable.
That and John is boxing in a different category. When one gets $1000+ selling a commissioned pen, does one really care about winning a BOB? 😅
A lot of pen Masters that reach that level don't have time to post their creations here, I for one truly appreciate the inspiration John keeps sharing here.

jalbert

That and John is boxing in a different category. When one gets $1000+ selling a commissioned pen, does one really care about winning a BOB? 😅
A lot of pen Masters that reach that level don't have time to post their creations here, I for one truly appreciate the inspiration John keeps sharing here.
I've been busy trying to fund purchases for my new house! Everything I make immediately goes on Instagram for sale!

Lmstretch

Truly a work of art! Please keep post you works, they provide inspiration and show all of us novices that the sky is the limits.

Do you have a recommended videos or books on casting bronze or other metals?

jttheclockman

My Goodness!!!!!!!!!!! Your work is amazing and each pen you post is a treat to see. Talk about WOW pens. Another beauty is all I have for you.

TDahl

Well I know everyone else has said it so it may seem redundant, but your craftsmanship in metalsmithing and casting is extraordinary. Your pens are works of art that inspire all of us. Thanks for sharing.

leehljp

Member Liaison
SHOW-OFF! 😊 That is beautiful! Stunning! The colors are magnificent!

In case anyone is wondering, as John has mentioned before, he did studies/working in metalurgy or machining - which is showing up in his work.
AND I am very jealous of his knowledge, as some of you may be also. His work is excellent!

Top Bottom