Sawstop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RogerGarrett

Hello everyone,

I posted in December that I was selling my 2 HP Unisaw (loaded) and a Grizzly 15 inch planer with about 10 hours use on it. Both sold, and I'm happy to report that the Sawstop that replaced the Unisaw is up and running and I really like it. It is accurate, powerful, and it doesn't even grunt a little when resawing 6 inch thick pieces of walnut, cherry, oak, or hickory.

A couple of issues to share though.

First, if you purchase the fold down table accessory, you're going to have to monkey around with it to be sure that when it is in the fold down position it does not get in the way of the fence. In my opinion, it has a design flaw. Delta fixedit by providing an "extension kit" with it's fold out table, so when it folded out, the hinge was 12 inches further away from the rear of the table, easily clearing the fence. This is what Sawstop SHOULD do but hasn't. And there have been many complaints about this. Their fix of turning the hinges upside down is not a great idea - leaves over an inch of drop down space for work to slide onto the table. This is just a small inconvenience, and I solved my problem eventually.

Second issue: Sawstop advertises with a nickle on it's edge and no vibration moves the nickle when the saw is turned on. I had all kinds of vibrations - with wood, pencils, and tape measures vibrating right off the saw. Since the blade was cutting perfectly, customer service/tech suggested removing belts, shimming the cabinet and mobile, base, etc. That was going to be a ton of work. It turns out it was the blade. I actually ran a millimeter of a 2 inch clamp into the blade when doing a careful and slow miter cut - just wasn't paying attention to how close the handle of the clamp was to the blade line. Oops. Broke the carbide off four teeth, and I ended up putting a freshly sharpened blade from my Delta back on the saw. Vibration went away. But all this created another problem.

The Sawstop is supposed to engage the brake if you run into metal. The brake did not engage. I contacted customer service, and they helped me out. Rather than share it in writing here, I'm going to provide a video of the solution and a description I gave of my experience. Here you go!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Great video Roger. I have seen this in demos, but I do appreciate a "user" video. Hope it meets your needs.

Stay healthy. šŸ˜·

Good video, Roger. I, too have a Sawstop (possibly the same as yours). I've had it for several years and I like it. My thoughts are that it's a really great saw and, oh, by the way, it has this neat safety feature.
Couple things that might be good to share: 1 - You mentioned kickback. The Sawstop saws will not prevent or resolve a kickback issue. The splitter and blade guard are well designed and will mitigate but not eliminate this issue. 2 - I noodled about your clamp incident for a bit (I'm sure the Sawstop folk did, too). In order for the brake to activate, there must be an electrical path from the clamp to the saw. It must have been interrupted somehow. Seems that if the clamp was attached to the miter gauge that would be more than sufficient. Did they have any thoughts on this?
Again - good video. I, too have had a couple opportunities to contact their customer service folk and have always come away thinking they did good.

Curly

Any chance you could set up the clamp and mitre gauge as you had it when you hit the blade and post the picture? Not with it running though. ;)

I haven't seen any reference to metal contact on their website. It mentions skin to blade though. I suppose if you were touching the clamp at the time, there might have been enough current flow to trip it. Doesn't green wood present issues also?

Curly

Soaking wet green wood and very wet pressure treated wood can set off the brake. If there is any doubt about a material you just slide the wood against the blade when it is turned off. The self test will tell you if it would brake by the red light on the switch flashing. Same happens if you touch the blade when it is not running with your finger.

Concerning a green or wet wood activating the brake.
There is a bypass feature to "deactivate" the brake system if/when you suspect the wood might cause the brake to "fire". It's well thought out and I've used it a couple times.
I've also not used it on some pressure treated wood and "green" wood with no activation.
And (just in case you're wondering) I've had an activation. It did what it was supposed to do.
I like this saw.

Jeff - Concerning a green or wet wood activating the brake.
There is a bypass feature to "deactivate" the brake system if/when you suspect the wood might cause the brake to "fire". It's well thought out and I've used it a couple times.
I've also not used it on some pressure treated wood and "green" wood with no activation.
And (just in case you're wondering) I've had an activation. It did what it was supposed to do.
I like this saw.
I haven't seen any reference to metal contact on their website. It mentions skin to blade though. I suppose if you were touching the clamp at the time, there might have been enough current flow to trip it. Doesn't green wood present issues also?

Rog

Just ran across your video roger. Good to see a user video testing out the sawstop. I too purchased a saw stop as im getting older and some days i have the attention span of a 2 year old....lol. I have always hoped that my saw safety feature will work if needed.

jttheclockman

Now that Sawstop was purchased by Festool, maybe they will address your issues because they are a better company for making top quality tools. Wonder if they will put their green color on it and after patents run out will they change the name?? They still would never get a dime of my money. Too political and it is ashame. Maybe too when patents run out on the brake system they will allow companies like Bosch or maybe even Festool themselves will have a better system.

I know this is an older thread but hope the saw is running good and all is safe.

Top Bottom