Saw exploded

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
My mitre saw blade guard just exploded - it must have worked itself loose and got caught in the blade. It certainly woke me up!

The issue is that I can't find a replacement part - does anyone know where I could order one?

It's a Bosh 4405, and the part number is 2610950383

I've tried all of the sites I can think of, but it says 'obsolete'.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

I'm glad too! I really hate throwing out a beautiful saw for a piece of plastic. I'll keep looking. :)

My go-to source is eReplacementParts.com but it's out of stock/unavailable there also. They do list some tips on how you might track down hard-to-find parts - such as calling around the authorized repair shops asking if they happen to have one sitting on the shelf.

Good luck in your search!

egnald

I feel your pain - I have a Bosch 4310 which I think is the dual bevel model and same vintage as your 4405 - it is very similar but the lower guard part number is different.

I did find one at the following link, although it is listed and has a price, that doesn't mean it is truly available I guess, but who knows, they may still have one in inventory. It let me add one to my cart anyway.
Link: ToolPartsOnline

Good Luck,
Dave

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
I feel your pain - I have a Bosch 4310 which I think is the dual bevel model and same vintage as your 4405 - it is very similar but the lower guard part number is different.

I did find one at the following link, although it is listed and has a price, that doesn't mean it is truly available I guess, but who knows, they may still have one in inventory. It let me add one to my cart anyway.
Link: ToolPartsOnline

Good Luck,
Dave
Thanks Dave - website's a bit sketchy...I'm not sure I trust a company that doesn't say where they're located; especially when they're the only ones that seem to have an item in stock. I'll dig a bit more. Thanks!

If anyone sees one at a local repair depot, let me know! :)

egnald

Well, in a deeper dive into that ToolPartsOnline site I found the following on their FAQ page:

IMPORTANT NOTE: Since we do not offer live inventory, not everything listed on the site is available all the time. Please do not send your e-Transfer until we've emailed you to confirm that the stock is available. If there are any order adjustments that affect your total, you will need to re-send the transfer, which (depending on your bank) may incur additional fees that you are responsible for.

So, it doesn't sound very promising since the blade guards are obsolete and out of stock everywhere else.
Dave

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
Shoot - thanks Dave!

I spent the last few hours before bed sifting through my shop for pieces of the guard..I now have a very incomplete fossil/archaeological relic taped/glued together with giant holes and one entire chunk of the front missing. It's impressive how much things can scatter - pieces all over the shop....still haven't found 30 percent of it, including one entire roller bushing. I still don't know how I didn't get a piece of shrapnel in my face - I was literally on top of the cut. My guardian angel certainly works overtime!

I'm thinking that I might order the 4310 guard and see if I can make a Macguivered Frankenguard....has to be better than what i have! Why they didn't use blue locktite on the guard pivot plate, I'll never know. Note to everyone - check your screws - mine worked itself loose, and that's what caused this.

Thank you everyone for the help!

Scary proposition you had there... makes me planning to give my miter saw a quick going over when I get out to the shop later today... I've already had to replace it when I pulled it down too quickly into a piece of wet river wood (that I thought would be dry after laying about my shop for about a year or so) and the whole housing of the motor shattered... don't have any idea how I managed to do that, but like you I checked all fingers, shorts, etc.... I operate all my saws with either safety glasses or a face shield.

BTW I placed an order with ToolPartsOnline a while back for a motor pulley for my Jet1442 lathe... it showed on hand/in stock, I paid up front as I expected them to ship next day or second day.... after almost a week with no confirmation, sent them email and learned that it would be in stock in 2 weeks... I canceled the order and they did refund my money immediately.... replaced the order directly with Jet and received the pulley in 2 days.

Curly

I called the local toor repair shop. They don't have any and Bosch doesn't either anymore. She said when they did they were $15.xx each.

This might be one of those occasions where if you can find enough of the old guard and CA it together someone with a 3D printer could make one and if it worked make you a couple spares.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
I've been cutting plexi and heat-bending it to fit the missing pieces, but it's a pain..still can't find the roller, though. BUT, I called around and one place had one on a dusty shelf - 15 dollars shipping, 20 dollars part - done! Hazaa - can't go to Vegas, but hit a Yo-leven on that call!

Now I just need to find a screw...I think it's an m10-32x1/2"....how does one tell pitch on a screw? It's pretty fine...

duncsuss

I've been cutting plexi and heat-bending it to fit the missing pieces, but it's a pain..still can't find the roller, though. BUT, I called around and one place had one on a dusty shelf - 15 dollars shipping, 20 dollars part - done! Hazaa - can't go to Vegas, but hit a Yo-leven on that call!

Now I just need to find a screw...I think it's an m10-32x1/2"....how does one tell pitch on a screw? It's pretty fine...

The parts diagrams on eReplacementParts (and other sites) might have the specification of the screw

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
It's a 10-32 x 1/2...found a box on the floor and it's perfect. Just need to wait patiently for the guard (which again was lucky that they had one on the shelf), and I'm back up and running...but please, everyone, make sure your screws are tight. That was a close call for me - I'd hate to see anyone else in that situation. Thank you sincerely to everyone for your help, and your concern! :)

Top Bottom