Saving scraps?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

I've incorporated a few acrylic or other resin cutoffs as segments in wood segmented blanks. Sometimes, a little bit of resin can be just the ticket to making something interesting and unique, and a level up from just a simple solid or single-style blank.

jcm71

Try this, John. I have done several out of wood scraps only. The idea of doing one out of synthetic materials leaves me flat for some reason.

Woodchipper

I remembered a blank that I turned for the soft grip Slimline. I had a piece of solid pink and glued it to the blank. Don't have a photo of the finished pen.

Attachments

• IMG_20171124_072021751.jpg
    IMG_20171124_072021751.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 52

MTViper

Occasionally I'll mix mediums like those, but most often if I'm mixing mediums, I've had a chip out on the end and I want to save the blank, so I'll use my parting tool to square off the blank remaining on the brass tube and drill a small piece of complementary scrap for the contrasting collar. Saved a few blanks that way.

RunnerVince

I started gluing a bunch of cutoffs together to make endgrain coasters, but the weather (my shop is outside on my balcony), my lack of skill, and not having all the tools I wanted made it difficult, so I set the project aside. Maybe I'll get back to it when the weather warms again.

Also, depending on the size of the cutoffs, you can easily do keychains. I know lots of vendors sells the kits, and you can trim the tube to fit your blank size. Great for little gifts or a cheap alternative to a pen if you're selling. You can sell them for $10 or $15 and still make a nice profit margin because the blank is "free" and the kits are only a couple bucks (at least last time I looked).

penicillin

When the girls in the family were young, I used to turn the cut off ends of pen blanks into beads for play bracelets. Watch out - they can be a dangerous choking hazard for babies!

Ray-CA

I do that all the time. Someone here called them "chaos" pens. It's as good a name as any and they're kinda like a box of Forest Gump chocolate. You never really know what your gonna git!

cl1237

For whatever reason, I've been saving off cuts from alumilite blanks. Decided to simply stack a few of them to make a new blank. I cut blanks on the bandsaw without a jig, so my joints didn't line up perfectly. I could feel a small ridge at the joints so I finished with CA to even out the surface.

Attachments

• 734C3F30-53BD-462D-806E-9ADCA8E89CB3.jpeg
    734C3F30-53BD-462D-806E-9ADCA8E89CB3.jpeg
    630 KB · Views: 53

Woodchipper

It shows what can be done with scraps that are tossed in a box, just begging to be used in a blank. The pens shown here are the result. To all, thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom