Sat morn pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

Status
Not open for further replies.

its_virgil

These pens were my Sat. morn fun time. From L to R: maple slimline, mesquite burl ligero, bubinga closed end baron, and black ash burl sierra. Comments welcome....good, bad, or indifferent.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

20066417415_AAW%20book%20signing.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

angboy

Hey Don- I have to start by reorienting you- it's Sunday morning today!! [}:)][}:)]

I like the sierra. But I really like the ligero- I don't think I've seen too many of those. But it's an elegant looking kit and a great match with the beautiful mesquite.

leehljp

Member Liaison
What did you do to the maple to get the brown color? Is it dyed/stabilized? Looks great, all of them. One thing here that you did - you posted the Sierra with the ligero and baron. I like the classy look of the Sierras and make mostly those. But up beside the ligero and baron, it has a "very nice casual" look as opposed to the more classy look of the baron and ligero.

It is good to view different ones side by side occasionally. I guess I am learning something about "display". If I noticed it and it took me long enough, I know that customers will.

its_virgil

Saturday pens posted on Sunday morn[:D], but thanks. Being newly retired I've lost track of what day it is ... what planet I'm on? ... what time zone I'm in?

Thanks for the comments. I too like the sierra. The Ligero is a dressed up CSUSA version of Berea's El Grande. I like both the El Grande and the Ligero.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by angboy
<br />Hey Don- I have to start by reorienting you- it's Sunday morning today!! [}:)][}:)]

I like the sierra. But I really like the ligero- I don't think I've seen too many of those. But it's an elegant looking kit and a great match with the beautiful mesquite.

its_virgil

Hank,
I use WATCO DAnish Oil on all of my pens. I'm convinced it makes the grain really stand out. I've settled on "medium Walnut" color, although I like "dark Walnut" also. The brand doesn't have to be WATCO, its just more readily available here.

Thanks for the comments. I decided to post all four together to give some of our new members a chance to see 4 different pens side-by-side. I agree, the sierra is a classy looking pen that has a nice casual look at the same time.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by leehljp
<br />What did you do to the maple to get the brown color? Is it dyed/stabilized? Looks great, all of them. One thing here that you did - you posted the Sierra with the ligero and baron. I like the classy look of the Sierras and make mostly those. But up beside the ligero and baron, it has a "very nice casual" look as opposed to the more classy look of the baron and ligero.

It is good to view different ones side by side occasionally. I guess I am learning something about "display". If I noticed it and it took me long enough, I know that customers will.

its_virgil

Thanks Mark. The CB is black-red-white-red-black fiber washers from http://www.woodturnings.com . Unfortunately, they are only available with holes for slimlines.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by ligget
<br />Those are really pretty pens, is that a pickguard centre-band on the slimline?[:p]

Deere41h

Don....Welcome to the Six Saturday Club!! Ho by the way nice pens too. I saw your name on the SWAT agenda. I look forward to sitting through your rotation.

its_virgil

Jim15: Thanks for looking and for the favorable comments.

challagan: Thanks. Almost any burl is nice. I found the mesquite one in a friends fireplace stack and lucked onto the bubinga board at a local woodworking store. After I cut the board into blanks it worked out to $.75 per blank.

gerry: Thanks for looing and thanks for liking my work.

EdwinSSIV: me too! Most all burls are nice.

John: When do we elect officers for the 6 Saturday's club? I too look forward to Swat in the fall and watching you turn a pen or two. Let me know when you're going to bubbasville again.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

guts

Hey Don,if you just retired be very careful,you might go to bed tonight and wake up in the morning four years older,voice of experence here,as always very nice looking pens.

Don,
Went back several times to decide, I'm between four of them, though. I like what you did with the slim(I still love 'em ) but the ligero and the closed end are strong as well. Well, I am not chooosing a fave. Great job!
Glenn

its_virgil

Bill: Thanks for the comments and the warning...time must really fly by when you're having fun.

Glenn: Its Ok to have a favorite. And yes, a nice slimline is difficult to beat, and people will buy them. I sell 4 or 5 slimlines to one of the more expensive pens. Thanks for the nice words.

Scott: This bubinga board happened to be an exceptional piece. Three of us bought it one morning at a woodworking store in the Dallas area where we were doing pen demos. It was leaning against the wall and about 10 customers tried to buy it during the day. My one-third of the board cost $20 and I got 28 1" square blanks from it.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom