Saratoga Springs Display-IAP Collection

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
The IAP Collection had a very busy day!!!

Compliments to the event hosts - a well-run conference! And the town is a wonderful place to visit.

So, there must have been over 1,000 folks walking through the display gallery (honestly, this is conservative). (Pics to follow!!!)

I had a great time explaining the IAP Collection to many, many other turners, as well as knowledgeable woodworkers. And as a result of the incredible display cases (Thank you again - Ted inn Michigan), I was able to close and lock the display and attend demos by Stuart Batty and Glenn Lucas!!!

My Highlight!!! I went to lunch at a great Mexican Restaurant, and as my food was served 3 folks sat next to me: "Did you see that bright red pen in some display cases of a collection..."

I promptly introduced myself, and said: "That is a Custom Bulb-Filler fountain pen turned from a Combustion Pen Blank, both crafted by Sir Jonathon Brooks from the fair state of Georgia..."

We had a great conversation and it made my day to hear total strangers admiring and talking about IAP one of our very own!

Second Highlight: Meeting - Tom and his great son (tjseagrove), and Duncan (duncsuss).

So I guess I have to dispel "No Pics - Didn't Happen!"

Attachments

• IMG_2705.jpg
    IMG_2705.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_2696.jpg
    IMG_2696.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_2697.jpg
    IMG_2697.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_2688.jpg
    IMG_2688.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_2689.jpg
    IMG_2689.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_2690.jpg
    IMG_2690.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_2691.jpg
    IMG_2691.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_2692.jpg
    IMG_2692.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_2702.jpg
    IMG_2702.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_2703.jpg
    IMG_2703.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_2704.jpg
    IMG_2704.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_2709.jpg
    IMG_2709.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark - You are certainly a wonderful ambassador for IAP. Thanks much for your efforts!!!!

How was the Glen Lucas presentation?

Hi Ted!

Not sure about being an Ambassador :eek:, but - It is an incredible honor for me to display the IAP Collection!!! (I love saying: "Nope, not mine - Neil Wright turned it..." "Some Mate named Simon Taylor did it..." "Oh, another Aussie named Bob Wemm stabilized/turned it ... and he was not aware it contains a neurotoxin". "Appreciate Bob's pen as it may be the only one ever turned from Australian Grass Tree").

Nope, No pens from me; I'm just the travel agent!:laugh:

The IAP Collection is turning into a nicely diverse display of different pens - one of the most common comments is that all the pens are "Very different" from each other! As one of the objectives of the collection (diversity), it is nice to hear this acknowledgement. And it will grow and progress.

So, The symposium!

Glen was a HOOT! Keep in mind that I am an "OK" penturner, a less skilled woodturner (but I have fun), but I can recognize and appreciate the skills of others.

Just a bit Of Glen Lucas' Banter:

GLEN: "Several weeks ago at a demo I turned through the bottom of a bowl! Embarrassing.... But I told the audience I could fix it!

SO I SIGNED THE BOTTOM: MICHAEL MAHONEY..."

Apparently Glen and Michael are very reasonable teasers. And, they have a great deal of professional respect for each others skills! (And I will throw in Stuart Batty; these guys are incredibly skilled, have their own skill-sets, and have wonderful professionalism to get along with each other. This is only my impression of seeing/hearing them).

I have seen demos from all three, and they are amazing artists, very approachable, and seem to have their "heads-screwed-on-straight".

And as a demo attendee, I appreciate their skills and camaraderie!

At this level, it's nice to see the "best of the best" appreciating each other.

Take Care Ted! (I love the display cases)!!!

stonepecker

Mark, Don't let me hear you sell yourself short again. It is the honor of the IAP that you not only started the collection......take care of the collection.......have so much knowledge about the collection......and take it around to show everyone you can.

You are a point of light within the IAP. A great example of what we all should live up to as members here. I know that in your hands, the collection will continue to grow and be a highlight for many years to come.

Thank you for everything you do Mark.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That's some nice turnery,I bet it was a blast to see all the different works.

These folks are scary good; but I also see this at my local AAW Chapter - there are folks that turn "Museum Quality" works but are just not in the right track for recognition. I can go every month to my Local AAW Chapter:

January Gallery

To me, amazing skills/artistry. And a great source of inspiration.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thanks Wayne; but it's still a thrill to display the Collection - so many folks I admire and have respect for! A pretty cushy job! :biggrin:

Be well, Mark

Charlie_W

Mark, thanks so much for the pics!!!! The pieces in the gallery are absolutely fantastic! So many talented artists!....WOW!!!

Also thanks for taking and showing the IAP Collection.

Edit: The items in the NCW link are wonderful pieces as well!

Last edited:
Top Bottom