Sandpaper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Thanks Clockman. Looks like they also have a great selection. Decent prices.
Oh they have it all and yes their prices match and are below many vendors. I have had always good service from them. I always was able to get my sheets cut in quarters. That is how I use most of them. have blocks that I wrap around for sanding. Plus I have a Porta Cable Bloc sander that takes quarter sheets. That is my all time favorite sander. Have burned one up from use before and this one I have I replaced the pad twice to show you how much I have used them over the years.

InkyMike

Wow - those are great prices. I literally spent some time this afternoon cutting down sheets. Will have to keep these folks in mind when it's time for a reorder.

Brandy

Which sandpaper do you use? I have been using micro-mesh on everything including CA when finishing. This is getting pricey and I think I should start sanding with sheets initially then go to micro-mesh when finishing the CA. I know some of you sand the wood to a lower grit (600-800) and then apply your finish. Is this what you would recommend? I worry about seeing scratches unless I sand to a much higher grit.

jttheclockman

Which sandpaper do you use? I have been using micro-mesh on everything including CA when finishing. This is getting pricey and I think I should start sanding with sheets initially then go to micro-mesh when finishing the CA. I know some of you sand the wood to a lower grit (600-800) and then apply your finish. Is this what you would recommend? I worry about seeing scratches unless I sand to a much higher grit.
I always use MM on finishing. I never use it before finishing. If a wood blank I will sand with 600 grit and then 800 and then start my CA application. I always wet sand my finishes so will start with 1200 and go to 2000 black wet dry paper, and then switch to MM. I always stop lathe and sand with grain between each grit and also MM. No scratches that I can see with naked eye. I am not one who use a loop to look at my finishes. To me overkill. First use of pen it will get scratches.

Brandy

I always use MM on finishing. I never use it before finishing. If a wood blank I will sand with 600 grit and then 800 and then start my CA application. I always wet sand my finishes so will start with 1200 and go to 2000 black wet dry paper, and then switch to MM. I always stop lathe and sand with grain between each grit and also MM. No scratches that I can see with naked eye. I am not one who use a loop to look at my finishes. To me overkill. First use of pen it will get scratches.
Thanks! That's just what I was looking for

jttheclockman

Are you using AO or carbon?

Do you put a little CA on the ends so the wood doesn't get wet? Or just use a small amount of water so it doesn't cause an issue?
You got me on your first question? What is AO or carbon. ? Just figured it out. I buy many types of sandpaper from this place but mainly use Aluminum Oxide for pens with black carbon silicone carbide paper for wet work. I also buy their garnet paper for my other wood sanding needs because I do alot of scrollsaw work. The AO paper I love is the Rhynalox brand. for sheets. Great stuff. As I said I use many different papers from there including my drum sander rolls. Have been buying from this company for many many years. I buy their stickyback paper for different uses as well as hook and loop for other sanders I have.

I always seal the ends of the pens with a dab of thin CA.

Last edited:
Top Bottom