Sandpaper storage

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

I have more sandpaper than brains or hair on my head. One large pile of various grits gets annoying when looking for a certain piece. Have a homemade or store bought rack, stacked trays or bins?
Let's see your storage bins.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

I just have a lidded strorage bin. The sandpaper is stacked on edge by grit. I have a "stripper" that allows me to cut 3/4" strips from 9x12 sheets.

I got my storage system way back when, that's when typewriters were the thing. It's a wooden file box that held different types of typing paper and letter head. If you ever went down to the typing pool all the ladies had them on their desks. It will hold 8 different grits of sand paper (which I buy in contractor quantities) and has a small foot print. I keep it on a shelf where it's easy to get to.
For my rolled stock I use the system that PSI has but got a better deal on the exact same one from Amazon.

I haven't made it yet but my father in law made a sandpaper sheet cutter by screwing an old hacksaw blade to a piece of wood. He put a thin washer under the ends of the blade so the paper would slip underneath it and you could "cut" your sheet paper to the size you need. Works well and you can cut any size piece of paper you need.

tomtedesco

I used mesh wire in/out baskets from a office supply store. The mesh allows shavings to fall thru and I stacked them on top of each other using zip ties. Hung the entire unit on peg board behind lathe, course grit on the bottom up to 420 at the top.

Curly

Once upon a time Lee Valley Tools sold drawer/trays that you made a quick cabinet for. Saw kerfs about an inch and a quarter apart held them and they came in 1", 2", and 3" depths. They fit sandpaper sheets perfectly. Maybe someone else sells them now but I can't find them and want a bunch more. :( Not sure why one picture is duplicated.
A14CEF50-2414-4F40-96F5-F1D3C69145F1.jpeg
A14CEF50-2414-4F40-96F5-F1D3C69145F1.jpeg
8EC6F4BD-E3DD-47D8-9566-368BCC9BB9AF.jpeg
16143AA6-A5D1-4AE6-B0B2-40D8EA64C19C.jpeg

howsitwork

a thin drawer filing cabinet works , did a job for a friend and swapped him for it. paper fits perfectly. Rolls don't though !

zig613

I use the same set-up as Curly. The metal drawers from Lee Valley. Since I only have a 6 drawer cabinet inside the drawers I separate different grits of sand paper in file folders (with the grit marked on the outside of the folder).

Wade

Top Bottom