Sanding wood blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

In regard to my thread on fine tuning a blank finish, I noticed that the method of sanding is with the lathe on. In my woodworking class of the Late Bronze Age, we were told to sand with the grain. Comments? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

As long as you use light pressure (ie. don't gouge the wood too deeply with lower grits), the scratches will sand out easily with each progressive grit. I do sometimes sand with the grain as well, but only on the lower grits. It really doesn't add much time if you feel it is needed.

Another school of thought is that, if you keep your skew sharp enough, and are practiced enough with it, you often don't need to sand at all. Definitely don't sand if you have segments with metal or contrasting woods as the dust/flakes will get into the other woods.

Woodchipper

As long as you use light pressure (ie. don't gouge the wood too deeply with lower grits), the scratches will sand out easily with each progressive grit. I do sometimes sand with the grain as well, but only on the lower grits. It really doesn't add much time if you feel it is needed.

Another school of thought is that, if you keep your skew sharp enough, and are practiced enough with it, you often don't need to sand at all. Definitely don't sand if you have segments with metal or contrasting woods as the dust/flakes will get into the other woods.
Thanks. As for the skew, need to practice with that critter.
Lived in central NC for three years, miss the fresh seafood!

I will sand with the lathe running and then stop the lathe to sand along to grain with the same grit used while spinning. This will break up the lines created while spinning. I do this for the lower grits (120, 180, etc) but will move away from it at 220 plus because those should not be leaving distinct lines when sanding.

egnald

I do pretty much the same process as Markus does, sanding with the lathe on (at about 1000 RPM) and then sanding along the grain with it off, but I almost never start with the coarse grits. My go to for sanding the wood starts at 400 then 600 and 800.

Occasionally if I have some "oops" gouges or something I will start with 320, but it is pretty rare. I also usually back the first grit with a flat plastic blank to help remove any high and low spots. If I am finishing with Pens Plus rather than CA, I continue sanding after 800 using much finer grits, 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000, 5000, and 7000. I also use walnut oil as a sanding lubricant if I am finishing with Pens Plus.

Regards,
Dave

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have rarely intentionally sanded with the grain and my sanding lines cannot be seen except maybe with a minimum 4x loupe. Once sanded to a certain super fine grit, the specific directional advantage ceases to exist.

That said, I smooth most of my blanks to finish with the tool only. For the few of those here who are familiar with fine wood scraper use, you understand how smooth a scraper can make a piece of wood. Properly sharpened tools can do the same, and on the lathe the smoothing is done in a circular motion.

Woodchipper

Hank, my uncle helped in wood shop in high school. My father said he used a piece of glass as a scraper. Cut, break, scrape.

Top Bottom