Sanding Tiny Coves

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lance Strahl

So, I just started turning, mostly to make lanyard beads and pens. On some of the beads, I have been turning very small coves, about 3/16" wide. While I have not problem turning them, I was wondering if anyone had and tricks for sanding inside very small coves. I'm having a hard time getting a good consistent finish in there because I can't sand it consistently.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

I would think you could some of the abranet abrasives from Mirka (there are other similar product) to be able to get in there. They aren't cheap but last quite a while and are worth it. Have used Zona paper so not sure if it comes in a grit to actually sand vs polish but they are quite thin, also.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Google might help you find "abrasive cord" Various grits and diameters available. The roll I have is Mitchell brand but quite a bit smaller than 3/16.

Lance Strahl

Thanks Guys! Lots of great ideas there. Ordered some sanding twigs and some dowels to wrap sand paper around and we'll see how it goes. I'll keep working my way through suggestions until I get it to work!

Charlie_W

I assume you are turning these coves in wood.
Another option is some of the paste style abrasive such as Yorkshire Grit. I would also think a piece of heavy string (softer than twine) could be handy while using the paste style abrasives.

Curly

You might find metal knitting needles to be stiffer and stronger than sticks and dowels when they are that small. Cut the pointy end off or at least point it away from yourself.

jttheclockman

You might find metal knitting needles to be stiffer and stronger than sticks and dowels when they are that small. Cut the pointy end off or at least point it away from yourself.
Be careful not putting extreme pressure. You want the sandpaper to just kiss the wood.

Last edited:
Top Bottom