Sanding the ends

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OutofTurnSam

I'm having trouble removing the scratches caused by sanding and getting a smooth finish on the ends of the barrels by the bushings. I've been sanding with the grain in between each sanding step, but I can't always get enough pressure close enough to the end of the barrels to remove those scratches.

I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions or ideas for how to removed the fine scratches at the ends of the pens. Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

InvisibleMan

I don't have any tricks, really, but I don't have the problem. I spend a little extra time on the ends with all grits. If you think about it, if your paper/pad has any width to it at all, the center of the blank is in contact virtually 100% of the time - double the 50% the ends are in contact as you move the abrasive back and forth. I also cross sand the ends again after finishing the whole blank - same reason. The ends get only half the sanding strokes the center gets otherwise.

This may or may not help, but it's all I've got:)

Last edited:

toddlajoie

Either get a live and dead center, and sand without the bushings a-la turning between centers or get the Eliminator Finishing bushings from JohnnyCNC for your mandrel. Without the bushings it is much easier to sand the ends of the blanks, plus if you do your finish the same way, the ends of your blanks will be sealed also.

bensoelberg

Either get a live and dead center, and sand without the bushings a-la turning between centers or get the Eliminator Finishing bushings from JohnnyCNC for your mandrel. Without the bushings it is much easier to sand the ends of the blanks, plus if you do your finish the same way, the ends of your blanks will be sealed also.

+1. I made a couple of cone-shaped bushings out of corian and that has helped a ton.

Rolland

I made cones out of Delrin for each of my different bushings and tube sizes and when I get close to finish sanding I swap them out. I also use them for putting on a CA finish as they will not stick to the blank. Delrin turns easily with wood tools.

Top Bottom