sanding sealer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I have used Mylads cellulose but now that I have switched to Deft spray lacquer on my woods pens, The lacquer is its' own sealer.
I remember when doing flat work, in a book by Flexner it was stated that the first coat of whatever you use for a finish can be called a "sealer"
I don't know if it applies to pens but it worked fine on the "pentarsia" pen I posted.
I also will seal with thin ca.

rtparso

Remember what SANDING sealer is for. Traditional you apply sanding sealer which "hardens" the surface so you can get rid of the fuzz when you sand. Any finish that hardens quickly so it is sandable will work. Thin CA is great.

4reel

I have used Mylands, Enduro, and CA, I prefer the Enduro, the oder is low. I have been working with a water based Poly by minwax that seems to be as good as the Enduro and is available in pints. You may want to check that out. my last pen that I posted was finished with that and It came out great.

wicook

I, too, have just started using Minwax wipe-on poly and am quite pleased with it. Very nice finish, relatively short cure time, and great finish with two coats over a sealer coat. I've done two pens so far and am very pleased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom