Sanding facets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wmcullen

I'm not sure if this process is right or wrong; unique or common. But it works for me and I want to share in case it's interesting.​
17: Sanding facets with homemade drum for pens
last post:16-Facet-ilitating a New Project
post17.08.jpg

Homemade sanding drums are well-known and easily made. I decided to make mine specific for pens by including 4 different levels of grit. It works well and gets the job done quickly.​

The Problem
When making a faceted pen with straight sides, sanding on a lathe becomes impractical.
post17.10.jpg

My Solution
(Not rocket surgery, just how I did it.)
1. Cheap 2x4 pine cut and drilled with a 0.25" hole lengthwise.
post17.07.jpg

2. Turned it round... no specific diameter... just round.
post17.06.jpg

3. Installed a 5.5" long 0.25" bolt, washer and nut.
4. Cut a trench down the middle with a handsaw.
post17.05.jpg

5. Shoved sandpaper into trench, wrapped around drum and cut so there was no overlap. Affixed with a small amount of glue.
Note: think through which direction the drum will spin before wrapping sandpaper.
post17.04.jpg

6. The drum has 4 grits. Each facet can quickly hit each stop.
Note: Putting the segments on a bolt gave me much more control and accuracy than trying to hold the segment freehand.
post17.03.jpg

Summary
I'm sure there are a billion methods to sand straight pen facets but I like the one I'm using and wanted to share.
post17.09.jpg

Thanks for looking
- Cullen

Attachments

• post17.03.jpg
    post17.03.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 125
  • post17.08.jpg
    post17.08.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 120
  • post17.03.jpg
    post17.03.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 111
  • post16.14.jpg
    post16.14.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 96
  • post17.10.jpg
    post17.10.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 112
  • post17.10.jpg
    post17.10.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 112
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

@Wmcullen

Your "multi-faceted creativity" shines through again !!! .... This is a SUPER idea !!!!

Do you have a bearing on the lower end ? ..... enabling you to anchor/clamp the lower end and maintain vertical rigidity .....

I wonder if your "sanding drum" could be mounted horizontally on a lathe ..... I do not have a drill press.

BTW ..... how do you create the original faceted shape ..... do you do it on a mill of some sort ?

Wmcullen

I wonder if your "sanding drum" could be mounted horizontally on a lathe ..... I do not have a drill press.
BTW ..... how do you create the original faceted shape ..... do you do it on a mill of some sort ?
Thank Mal.
I don't have a bearing on the lower end of this drum but that would be a sound choice to make.
Mounting the drum horizontally on a lathe would have been a cleaner way to write this up. I didn't think of it but should have. Good call!
I made the original faceted shape on a router table using a new jig, which I'm still tinkering with like a mad scientist! Here's a link to the write up on it.
Best,
Cullen

dogcatcher

Slap some 40 grit on the drum and you can create the flats on round stock.

For making hexagon and pentagon shaped game calls I used a jig like the one on this video to fit my bandsaw and 2" upright belt sander.
First cut, trim with bandsaw, then sand on the belt sander with various grits.

Top Bottom