Sanding enduro?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cd18524

When using the enduro do you wet sand or just use the MM outright? I am about to sand after my sanding sealer coat and did not want to screw it up by wet sanding. I can't see why it would hurt anything, just curious what others are doing.
Chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TomServo

The finish will hold up to splashes and short immersions after a week or so of curing.. I've heard that cabinet makers want it to cure a month before using anything harsh to clean it or allowing it to be wet more than a few minutes..

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />Enduro is water base, if you use water you will disolve the finish and just make a big mess

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

I have seen the name Enduro used here a number of times, I would like to know what it is and where I can get it please. Is there an online refernce on how to apply it and finish a pen with it?

Thanks for your patience with a question like this, I just have not been able to find the information...I appreciate yours and others support on this![:D][:D][:D][:D]

wayneis

Jim,

Look in the Business forum here at the IAP and you will see that Ernie at Bear Tooth Hardwoods is now selling Enduro in 2 oz. bottles along with my instructions. He is just starting this up and I gave permission to distribute my instructions to anyone who purchases it. If you have any questions just yell.

Wayne

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
I am confused.
We have two different opinions here.
Either Enduro is waterproof or it isn't.
Which is it?

You guys are giving me one big reason to never try the Enduro. It seems to me that any finish that melts in my hand from perspiration and moisture is uselss on a pen, regardless of how hard and abrasion resistant it is.

Not being waterproof, or at the least water-resistant, somehow just doen't compute. I don't understand why Enduro, which I haven't used, would be any less waterproof than the Minwax "Polyacrylic", which I do use. They are both waterborne Polyurethane resins.

kgwaugh

There are MANY water based products out there which are cross-linked polymers that are quite waterproof once cured!!!

To say that just because they are water based, that the finished, cured product will be water soluable is waaaaay off base!!

Gene
Elgin, Illinois USA

Russ,
Go to the web site of Compliant Spray Systems. You can do a search on that name. Click on the "Enduro Products" tab and you can read directly in the horse's mouth, so to speak. They make a water base lacquer and a water base polyurethane. It is a good product and it is completely water proof when cured. It can be handled after about 4 hours and fully cured in 24 hours, if I recall correctly.

However, they are not magicians. There are plenty of other manufacturers of the same type of product that has the same features and that work just as well. CrystaLac Company is one.

wayneis

Russ has had a problem with Enduro ever sense it was introduced and I dought that he has ever had any intention of trying it. Just posturing. I think that this has beenn explained sever times, the damn stuff has to cure.

Wayne

Mikey

Wait a minute, first you say
Enduro is water base, if you use water you will disolve the finish and just make a big mess
then you say
Originally posted by wayneis
<br />Russ has had a problem with Enduro ever sense it was introduced and I dought that he has ever had any intention of trying it. Just posturing. I think that this has been explained several times, the damn stuff has to cure.

Wayne

Mybe I am reading this all wrong, but it seems as though you completely contradicted yourself here. I only use Enduro on all my stuff and haven't had a single problem using a little water when wet sanding my pens. They come out looking fine.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Mikey just pointed out the conflict that I see throughout this series of messages. I suggest that cd18524 go ahead and wet sand their Enduro and make up their own mind about whether it can or can't be wet sanded.

As for my using, or not using Enduro, I suggest reading the Jeff Jewitt article on what finishes can and can't do to a piece of wood. Enduro, like every other finish, has its good and bad characteristics. I don't use it because I have chosen a different set of characteristics as being important.

If I argue the merits of the traditional finishes, it is because I know them better, and I believe that most people abandon a finish too quickly in their search for the "perfect finish" that hasn't been invented yet.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by cd18524
<br />I guess from now on I will try before I ask.

Chris

Chris,

No, ask away. Just don't be surprised if members have strong feelings. Personally, I don't wet sand anything but acrylics and am happy with my method. Others wet sand with a variety of liquids and are likely just as happy. Think of it as politics; people hold strong opinions.

FWIW,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom