Sanding disc adhesion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Sorry to carry the conversation to a separate thread but the question received no replies. I removed the velcro portion of the sanding disc that adheres to the metal plate on the machine. Not fun. The plate was cleaned with mineral spirits, acetone, denatured alcohol. Each failed. Disc peels and falls off.
I'm I using substandard discs? Cheap junk with poor adhesive? Is a secondary adhesive needed? If I'm using brand x 8" discs please suggest the better quality companys to look for. Price not a concern. Thanks, Frank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

I have always use Klingspor, I consider them high quality, but I have always had trouble getting them off the platen
I either have problems getting them off, or problems keeping them on...doesn't seem to have mattered what brand so far...

I've been wondering if there is some kind of trick to actually sticking them on the platen that makes sure they adhere properly?

monophoto

Disc peels and falls off.
I've never had to deal with this problem, but three thoughts come to mind.

First, is the metal completely dry when you apply the PSA adhesive disc? If there is still any of the solvents you mentioned still on the plate, I can imagine it immediately weakening the adhesive.

Second, pressure-sensitive adhesives are, well, pressure sensitive. You might try clamping a stiff caul (perhaps a scrap of 3/4" plywood) over the new adhesive disc for a few hours to see if that helps.

Three, one of the suggestions in the previous post for removing the old velcro was to apply heat. Is the new abrasive disc peeling off before it can be used, or is it peeling off after use? If after use, I would wonder about heat from friction causing the adhesive to release.

KenB259

I either have problems getting them off, or problems keeping them on...doesn't seem to have mattered what brand so far...

I've been wondering if there is some kind of trick to actually sticking them on the platen that makes sure they adhere properly?
I wish I knew the trick if it exists

1080Wayne

Not sure it qualifies as a totally reliable trick , but my process is to always start applying pressure to the disc at its center , then gradually work outwards , doing the outer edge last . It reduces the amount of entrapped air , which may be a cause of the problem . Note : I have only done this on 6 inch discs

jttheclockman

I too am a Klingspor user. As with the other thread. Tips to follow. Do not bulk buy your sanding pads and belts. The adhesive will lose its stickiness and in belts they will pull apart. With pads they will peel off easily. Now the tip about starting pressing in the center is a good one. If th adhesive is not tacky you can spray some repositionable tacky spray. We use it alot in the scrollsawing world for when we attach patterns to woods. Now there is pressure sensitive tape that can be applied if you chose to go that route but again that stuff is very sticky.

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT]ebraska. I use inexpensive 100 piece bulk rolls of 6" discs that I buy off of eBay. Some rolls are red which may be garnet and some are yellow which I think is aluminum oxide.

I usually clean the old adhesive off of the wheel (mine is aluminum) with low odor mineral spirits followed by a wipe with denatured alcohol. To me it always seems like mineral spirits leave an oily like film behind so the denatured alcohol takes that away and leaves a dry-oil free surface.

I've found that the adhesive on the cheap sanding discs I use can be somewhat inconsistent, so I give them a light spray of 3M Super 77 spray adhesive before applying them to the wheel. Sometimes the edges still lift away a little, but as soon as I put pressure against it by sanding something they stick back on flat. They always seem to peel off OK for me, but usually leave behind some spots of adhesive and an occasional bit of backing paper, but it always cleans off easily for me using the low odor mineral spirits and denatured alcohol.

Regards,
Dave

howsitwork

Might be the heat effect ?

I have an issue with them peeling afte a few month of inactivity but they usually stick back if pressed. I would also vouch for cleaning with alcohol although I used cellulose thinners as this doesn't leave a residue . Mineral spirits / white spirit seems to leave a trace behind ( or UK stuff does anyway !) . Or if I'm feeling flush and it's to hand I use Hammerite thinners which is great but expensive.

Again make sure it's all evaporated off before applying discs and work either from centre pressing down or from one side to the other. I have been known to leave a pressure pad on the surface whilst I have a coffee before using it.

PatrickR

I don't think its been mentioned but the length of time that an adhesive remains "removable" isn't indefinite. The longer its been on, the harder it will be to remove. Heat and a gasket scraper are essential.

KMCloonan

I agree Klingspor is a top notch abrasives manufacturer. I also buy other supplies from them including my Laguna lathe. I visited one of their bricks & mortar store just outside of the Asheville NC airport. Really nice store.

Helen

Sorry to carry the conversation to a separate thread but the question received no replies. I removed the velcro portion of the sanding disc that adheres to the metal plate on the machine. Not fun. The plate was cleaned with mineral spirits, acetone, denatured alcohol. Each failed. Disc peels and falls off.
I'm I using substandard discs? Cheap junk with poor adhesive? Is a secondary adhesive needed? If I'm using brand x 8" discs please suggest the better quality companys to look for. Price not a concern. Thanks, Frank
I sent a photo of a disc conversion that I used. Had the same problem

Attachments

• 5FF6397E-ABEC-452D-948F-7BE9020E4DF8.jpeg
    5FF6397E-ABEC-452D-948F-7BE9020E4DF8.jpeg
    210.3 KB · Views: 74

WriteON

Worked out. Cause of failure…. Garbage in Garbage out. Used brand X discs to begin with. The Kingspor sanding discs stick like a champ. I lightly wet sanded the metal plate. Cleaned it with denatured alcohol. The Kingspor discs are very good quality. Should be good from here.

Top Bottom