Sanding a long dowel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

I made a beach & moan post on my Wood for Cane thread. Not in love with sanding a long dowel. JT suggested thinking my way through. Use my head? Never thought of that. I put a piece of pipe wrap on a non slip sandpaper and it definitely helps. Would like to see how others do little things to make sanding easier. Thanks.

Attachments

• D3CAFE42-91FE-4584-9BB8-A81D3514D01C.jpeg
    D3CAFE42-91FE-4584-9BB8-A81D3514D01C.jpeg
    297.9 KB · Views: 227
  • 41B6741A-F3ED-421D-A313-53B18F0094C9.jpeg
    41B6741A-F3ED-421D-A313-53B18F0094C9.jpeg
    388.5 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Very good work around. Many times doing repetitive things requires imagination to overcome boredom and fatigue especially when doing the same thing over and over. Sometimes it needs to be addressed for health reasons too. But if sanding one item we probably just hand sand it and be done with it. Many ways to get things done. Good job.

Here is a video I seen that may give you an idea too.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...91C871B642F50932C5B391C871B642F5093&FORM=VIRE

Last edited:

WriteON

Interesting jig. If I could cut a piece of PCV in half I'd sandwich the sandpaper and foam between them... apply pressure/hold together by hand or use rubber bands.

Last edited:

dogcatcher

I made a foam rubber sanding pad that fit in a piece of 2" PVC pipe. I only used about 6" of pipe, and about 2/3's of the circumference. Leaving it open on one side for dust extraction. It was almost like your pipe insulation gadget. I would guess they work the same. Very slow speed on the lathe for turning the dowel, and moving the sander gadget constantly from one end to the other.

John Eldeen

If I need to do some flattening first I us a piece of aluminum flat bar with some sticky back sandpaper on it with the lathe turning around 1000 rpm until its flat and true. For the bulk of the sanding on a dowel like you have here I would grab my dewalt random orbital sander. With the dowel turning about 500 rpm and light pressure on the sander. Just keeping in mind not to start with to course of a grit as it will take alot of material way very quickly. Maybe a 220 grit to start and then up to 600 grit. Then finish by hand sanding with the grain. That is where I would use your wonderful creation with the pipe insulation of witch is a great idea.

WriteON

Not sure he has a lathe long enough for this. Probably need a pool cue makers lathe.
just got this. It has an extension... 48"total. I do not mind hand sanding. Actual I prefer it.

Attachments

• BA19D734-75AD-46FA-B42C-88512F897900.jpeg
    BA19D734-75AD-46FA-B42C-88512F897900.jpeg
    353.5 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

John Eldeen

just got this. It has an extension... 48"total
It looks like you have plenty of length with that. Just out of curiosity I saw that in a previous post of yours who makes it or is it homemade.

Disregard I just zoomed it on your picture and could read the name plate.

WriteON

It looks like you have plenty of length with that. Just out of curiosity I saw that in a previous post of yours who makes it or is it homemade.
I have 2 Taig lathes. The one shown is by Chris Hightower. A Micro ll large bore. It is portable 36"+12" extension. He is known as Cue Man Billiard Products. He also makes a Cane lathe. In additional I have a 48" large bore by MidAmericaPool. I'm slowly learning to use both for other than cue repair. Both are more capable than I am. It's great for boring a ring blank. I feel like I'm cheating.

Last edited:

dogcatcher

Not sure he has a lathe long enough for this. Probably need a pool cue makers lathe.
Variable speed drill with a chuck made out of a piece of PVC stuffed with 3 pieces of foam rubber, On a 2" PVC, plug one end with wood, center a lag bolt, cut off the head so it will it will fit the drill chuck, stuff in the foam rubber. I had mine mounted on a 2x6 with home made dead center acting as tailstock. The foam rubber holds the dowel in place at the "headstock" end and a block of wood with a nail is the "tailstock" supporting the other end.

The above was for making custom monopod shooting sticks, with a U at the top, sort of like a long cane or walking stick. Some of these were up to 5 foot long, and the dowels were usually rough cedar fence staves. No lathe work was needed, just clean off the bark, sand, finish and attach a rest for the rifle. Before someone asks, the U shape was made of birch plywood and lag screwed to the end of the cedar fence stave. 2 pieces glued together also make a great looking cane handle.

WriteON

Variable speed drill with a chuck made out of a piece of PVC stuffed with 3 pieces of foam rubber, On a 2" PVC, plug one end with wood, center a lag bolt, cut off the head so it will it will fit the drill chuck, stuff in the foam rubber. I had mine mounted on a 2x6 with home made dead center acting as tailstock. The foam rubber holds the dowel in place at the "headstock" end and a block of wood with a nail is the "tailstock" supporting the other end.

The above was for making custom monopod shooting sticks, with a U at the top, sort of like a long cane or walking stick. Some of these were up to 5 foot long, and the dowels were usually rough cedar fence staves. No lathe work was needed, just clean off the bark, sand, finish and attach a rest for the rifle. Before someone asks, the U shape was made of birch plywood and lag screwed to the end of the cedar fence stave. 2 pieces glued together also make a great looking cane handle.
Very creative. Pictures please

Top Bottom