Salt/Peppermills

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bmac

bmac

A set of Salt/Peppermills that I made to commemorate the LSU Tigers winning the 2023 National College Baseball World Series. The wood is Maple with a spray lacquer finish. The top is inlayed with a piece of purple and gold laminate and the bottom portion was engraved using a CNC. They are 10" and 12" tall.

Attachments

• Geaux Tigers salt-pepper mill.jpg
    Geaux Tigers salt-pepper mill.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 85
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Very Cool. Game 3 of the finals was really exciting. Virtually everyone in my section was from Omaha or from Louisiana. There were 24,878 in attendance for that game and I think we were all on our feet for nearly the whole game - it was very exciting! I also remember the finals back in 2017 between LSU and Florida when Florida won (I was rooting for LSU of course). It was the first year I had season tickets.

Geaux Tigers,
Dave

jbreaud

A set of Salt/Peppermills that I made to commemorate the LSU Tigers winning the 2023 National College Baseball World Series. The wood is Maple with a spray lacquer finish. The top is inlayed with a piece of purple and gold laminate and the bottom portion was engraved using a CNC. They are 10" and 12" tall.
Hi Bobby,

It's great to see someone from LA, I'm in Frisco, TX but originally from Baton Rouge. I retired in June and will be "expanding" my pen turning beyond standard pens. I saw your post regarding the salt/pepper mills. What type of CNC setup do you use for the engraving on the round stock? I'm considering a DIY effort to build a CNC machine using a Dewalt DCW 600B router. Looking at engraving pens with contrasting acrylic fill.

Thanks

Jerry Breaud
Geaux Tigers.

bmac

Hi Bobby,

It's great to see someone from LA, I'm in Frisco, TX but originally from Baton Rouge. I retired in June and will be "expanding" my pen turning beyond standard pens. I saw your post regarding the salt/pepper mills. What type of CNC setup do you use for the engraving on the round stock? I'm considering a DIY effort to build a CNC machine using a Dewalt DCW 600B router. Looking at engraving pens with contrasting acrylic fill.

Thanks

Jerry Breaud
Geaux Tigers.
Hey Jerry, I have a CAMaster Stinger series w/rotary attachment. I looked at building one from a kit, but the opportunity came to purchase the CAMaster, so I went that route and have been very pleased with it. I have tried to engrave a pen blank with it and while it came out OK, it's just not feasible in my opinion. It works great great for the salt/peppermills and other item I engraved that were round. What other turning do you do besides pens? Are you in one of the turning clubs in Texas, there are several and it is really worthwhile.

jbreaud

Hey Jerry, I have a CAMaster Stinger series w/rotary attachment. I looked at building one from a kit, but the opportunity came to purchase the CAMaster, so I went that route and have been very pleased with it. I have tried to engrave a pen blank with it and while it came out OK, it's just not feasible in my opinion. It works great great for the salt/peppermills and other item I engraved that were round. What other turning do you do besides pens? Are you in one of the turning clubs in Texas, there are several and it is really worthwhile.
Bobby,

That is a nice machine, good find. I'm looking to start smaller and sub $1000.

I've only turned pens. Looking for methods to engrave/laser cut text and shapes on a turned pen body. Other than the smaller size for a pen, the pepper mill would be similar. I saw a You Tube video describing a way to engrave then fill the text/shape with a contrasting acrylic then finish the pen with a final turn and polishing. I have been able to engrave a cross shape on a pen body using a table mounted router and a set of jigs. The quality of the engraving is not good so I'm looking at CNC as a solution.

I'm researching plans to build a CNC router with spindle and laser plus a 4th rotary axis for engraving the pen bodies.

I plan on attending the next Dallas Area Woodturners meeting later this month.

bmac

Jerry, there are a lot of good kits out there now and if you build one, its the best way to learn and know your machine inside and out. I have used a lot of different material to fill in my engravings and they all work pretty good. My material of choice, unless I want a color, is coffee grounds. I have mixed it with epoxy and soaked it with CA glue and both methods work well.

Bobby

Top Bottom