Salad Bowl for Shower

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Charlie_W

Charlie_W

Wifey's nephew is getting married in October. We decided on me turning a Cherry salad bowl....no problem.

Monday night midnight:
Wifey: Have you decided not to turn the salad bowl for Ross and Sheryl?
Me: I am going to turn it....the wedding is in October.
Wifey: I wanted it done for the bridal shower this Saturday.
Me: OOOHHHHH!

Tuesday am: Pick three rough turned salad bowl candidates...choose one.
Tuesday pm: Finish Turn bowl, sand and apply first coat of mineral oil.
Wednesday am: Apply second coal of Mineral oil.
Thursday pm: Buff with a clean wheel and take photos.....Wifey gets Bowl and all the goodies wrapped ready to go.
Friday: Wifey is out the door to Aunts house where all the family ladies are meeting/spend the night/ head out 7:00am for shower/north of Philly.
Today: Report that everything is wonderful! A great time and lots of fun.

Included in the bowl were two double sided aprons for kitchen duty (which she made), a pair of cherry salad forks she found at John C Campbell earlier in the summer made by another craftsman, a Yellowheart pan stirrer/spatula I turned, some silicone spatulas, a small end grain cutting board (made by td smart), a small jar of mineral oil/beeswax mix, and the book "Sex Begins in the Kitchen"

Bowl is 11" diameter and 5" tall, Mineral oil/ Buffed

You can tell that Wifey had fun putting this all together.
Here are some pics....more pics in second post.

Attachments

• IMG_5631.jpg
    IMG_5631.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_5632.jpg
    IMG_5632.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_5633.jpg
    IMG_5633.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_5635.jpg
    IMG_5635.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_5636.jpg
    IMG_5636.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

Charlie, that is fantastic. The forks look like they were made for the bowl...or the bowl for the forks.
May I ask about the deco on the bottom? Is that by your hand? If so, that itself is a work of art.
Wonderful work and I'm sure the wife and the couple were thrilled.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful bowl Charlie!

Nothing beats a home-made gift. Well done on the bowl as well as the matching forks and the aprons.

I also admire the signature. And a good book is also well recommended!

Marmotjr

Nice Bowl!

Of course, I was really confused at the title, I couldn't figure why anyone would eat a salad in the shower, and how long they would expect the bowl to last in the humidity.....

So, Charlie, I have digress and ask if you attended a class at JCCFS? My wife and I were there this year (first time) and just made plans to return next year.

Charlie_W

So, Charlie, I have digress and ask if you attended a class at JCCFS? My wife and I were there this year (first time) and just made plans to return next year.

Ted,
My wonderful Wifey was there for a week with Cynthia Gibson this summer. I looked for a class but nothing worked that particular week. We enjoy going to workshops together when we can. We are keeping our eyes open for upcoming classes at JCCFS, Arrowmont and Marc Adams. I was at Marc Adams earlier this summer for a weekend class with Bin Pho. Lots of fun!
THe Virginia Symposium and The AAW Symposium are wonderful events....waiting for AAW to come back east. May go to the North Carolina Woodturning Symposium this fall.
What class did you take at Campbell?

Top Bottom