Safe to cut 2" round stock on table saw?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

I need to cross cut some 2" round stock on my table saw. I've seen suggestions that this isn't safe to do but want to ask if anyone has done this???

Suggestions welcome!!!:confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Mac

My saw has an auxiliary fence added to the miter gauge that holds the stock tight right next to the blade and I have cut smaller diameter stock than 2". For short pieces clamp the piece to the auxiliary fence and then make the cut and don't race through it.

randywa

I've made a sled with 4 hold down clamps and self stick sand paper on the bottom. It works pretty good. I'll look for the pattern.

FatPat

You can tack a piece of scrap with a straight edge to the round piece , (letting it overhang) then run the straight edge against the saw fence.
Keep the nails or screws away from the blade & make your cut
You will find this very safe.
Pat

GaryMGg

I need to cross cut some 2" round stock on my table saw. I've seen suggestions that this isn't safe to do but want to ask if anyone has done this???

The reason it may be unsafe is round rolls and once fully cut, it could roll into the back of the blade which is where it can be picked up and hurled toward you -- hence, kickback.

So long as you can find a means to secure it so both pieces don't move and the offcut isn't trapped between the blade and fence AND your hands are sufficiently out of the circle of blood, you'll be fine.
Lots of ways to do that. I like to use wood screw clamps. A fence with hold-downs works great.
Having said all that, I usually do these on a chopsaw rather than a TS.

randyrls

Randy and Gary; Those sound like good ideas. I have a saw sled that I can clamp stock to, but I may need to make up some v blocks to hold the stock and cut-off down.

randywa

Since the saw blade goes through the center of my sled, I can wrap stock in 2 sided carpet tape to keep small cut-offs from launching off of the blade.

DurocShark

The reason it may be unsafe is round rolls and once fully cut, it could roll into the back of the blade which is where it can be picked up and hurled toward you -- hence, kickback.

So long as you can find a means to secure it so both pieces don't move and the offcut isn't trapped between the blade and fence AND your hands are sufficiently out of the circle of blood, you'll be fine.
Lots of ways to do that. I like to use wood screw clamps. A fence with hold-downs works great.
Having said all that, I usually do these on a chopsaw rather than a TS.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I'm often cutting large round dowels. Occasionally on the TS, more often on the miter saw. Sandpaper on the fence, clamps or some other hold down method, and you'll be fine.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
You might also consider holding the stock in place with the blade lowered all the way down and then raising the blade up through the stock and then back down. you don't have to move the stock at all. I use this method to cut the angles on the bottom of chair legs that are too cumbersome to hold at the right angle and slide them through the saw.
Mike

randyrls

You might also consider holding the stock in place with the blade lowered all the way down and then raising the blade up through the stock and then back down. you don't have to move the stock at all. I use this method to cut the angles on the bottom of chair legs that are too cumbersome to hold at the right angle and slide them through the saw.
Mike

Mike; that is a good idea; I have a two sided sled that I can put clamps on and it works well. Didn't think of just raising the blade thru the stock.

Top Bottom