Russian Olive wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wolf creek knives

I just finished this pen as part of a pen/knife set. I'll post a photo of the knife later. This is Russian Olive wood that was harvested here in Montana and this is the first pen I've done with this wood. It was cut cross grain (on the Bias my wife tells me) and the striped images go all the way around the wood in separate circles. I will say that this wood was as dry as a popcorn f@&t and as tough as "Woodpecker lips". No ribbons or even nice sized pieces, pretty much just saw dust. Sharp tools are a must as is a good respirator and air cleaning system. The finish is multiple coats of WOP. Thanks for looking.

russian olive montana.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Todd in PA

Good looking pen!

It looks nothing like any olivewood I've ever used. Olive doesn't have stacked pores like the rings in your photo. Is it related to olive, or just a nickname for an unrelated tree?

Good looking pen!

It looks nothing like any olivewood I've ever used. Olive doesn't have stacked pores like the rings in your photo. Is it related to olive, or just a nickname for an unrelated tree?

This wood is called "Olive" in name only. It doesn't look like a normal Olive tree, doesn't smell like true Olive wood and the tree's, at least in Montana, are full of thorns and not very friendly looking at all. The trees here do get little black berry type fruits on them but they are not used for anything. And it doesn't turn like true Olive Wood either.

Alan Morrison

Your pen looks good X-cut, interesting rings.

Russian olive is a bit of a misnomer as it is not related to Olive, or is even in the same family.
It just bears a slight resemblance to true Olive, hence the name.
I thought that it was regarded as an invasive weed in your neck of the woods.

Your pen looks good X-cut, interesting rings.

Russian olive is a bit of a misnomer as it is not related to Olive, or is even in the same family.
It just bears a slight resemblance to true Olive, hence the name.
I thought that it was regarded as an invasive weed in your neck of the woods.

Your correct Alan. Here in Montana it can get pretty wild if not kept in check. Most ranchers consider it a nuisance tree/plant and try to confine them to specific areas. Some people use them as shelter breaks but they drop their leaves in the winter months so when the wind howls they kind of lose their intended use. I know one thing, running into the limbs or branches usually leaves you pretty messed up due to the thorns.

sorcerertd

Looks pretty cool, kind of like stacked leather.

They are considered invasive in NC, too. My neighbors in NY had one and it smelled wonderful when it was blooming.

Top Bottom