Russ Fairfield Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to use this thread to collect our ideas on a contest to honor Russ Fairfield.

My initial thoughts in Red. PLEASE help improve the ideas.

Contest Name: The Russ Fairfield Slimline Challenge
Theme: wood, solid or segmented, with optional non-wood accents.
Entry Fee: Maybe $10 to fund some sort of educational effort?
Entry Requirements: Photos, description
Judging Criteria: All the usual stuff, with special attention to finish, proportion, and simple beauty.
Prizes: ??

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
This would be the first time we have had a "pay to play" contest.

How do you envision that working? (Paypal to the site, or how?---PayPal doesn't like lotteries, how do they feel about contests??)
Having run an "alternative ivory" contest a couple years ago, several members gave me flack about having to use one of MY materials, even though it is available from CSUSA and a couple others (even more, now).

Would you use part of the entry money as the first prize?

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I wouldn't think it would be a lottery issue, Ed, as the winner isn't getting the bulk of the money. Just ensure that the prize is purchased by the IAP or donated by an individual or business, and it is just like any request for donations to an endeavour or enterprise.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Please understand, guys, I am not looking to "shoot down" ideas. After running a business for 35 years, my first reaction to ANY idea is "What can go wrong". My employees over the years grew to appreciate the help in being prepared.

IF you have a roadblock come up in a project that is underway and you have ANTICIPATED it, the roadblock becomes a "low hurdle" (ran those in college-you take each one in stride and it is just like they are not there).

If the roadblock was unanticipated, it can derail the project.

So, sorry if I sound like a "killjoy". But I find there is more joy in a project run well.

Editorial finished.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Is there perhaps a school, program, or other "institution" in which Russ and/or his family supported locally that a scholorship of some kind could be set up?

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
The idea of an entry fee was just a random thought. On further review, it's probably more trouble than it's worth. I think it is indeed a prohibited PayPal activity, I don't have an education activity in mind, and it's probably just simpler to run it with no fees.

So, further thoughts on this?

Scott

Probably shouldn't do a fee then. The educational fund that Gerry, Russ's Wife, is having any money sent to is with the Principally Pens chapter of the AAW. While I have nothing against them, I don't really have any reason to drum up money for them either.

I would suggest that we do a Slimline Challenge with the purpose to turn a slimline pen that most closely reflects the style and workmanship of Russ's pens. Not necessarily looking for copies of his pens, but "pens you would envision that Russ would make." Announce it at the first of the month, accept entries from the 15th through the 25th, and announce winners the end of the month. A plaque would be a nice prize.

Scott.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I like Scott's interpretation of this.

Is there a nice picture of Russ, with a pen. Or a pen that screams "Russ Fairfield"? If so, I could use it to get the plaque made and it could be the beginning of a "travelling trophy" as well???? (The Russ Cup, more popular than Stanley, everywhere except Canada!!)

Thoughts?

Phunky_2003

I like Scott's idea also.

Ed, the version of the slim line pen that Russ made with the metal tip inside the pen to give strength to the tip was always the pens I associated with Russ. Basically the only hardware seen on the pen was the clip (recessed). But those that have been here longer and turning longer would have a better idea. My 2nd choice would be his long line pen...... Those just scream class and elegance.

On the prizes for this contest, I think it would be appropriate to have the prizes include CA. (added in edit - possible some yew blanks as well)

Just some thoughts...

Also I will play ED here... with the traveling trophy what if whoever wins it doesnt want to send it back? Or they get upset and leave? Is there a place we could keep the plaque/trophy and add names to it every year?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Frankly James, I had not thought about "trophy-filching".

But, I'm also thinking of a $50ish trophy rather than Waterford Crystal. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Not married to the idea, though, VERY open to discussion.

Scott

If you're thinking a picture of the pen that has wood down to the nib, I have one of those pens that Russ gave me, and we could take a picture. There is the distinct possibility that we might get a few of Russ's pens, and could actually give one as a prize, but that would be up to Jeff, and of course depends on if we do get any.

I had thought of a traveling trophy, but reliably passing it from one winner to the next would have the potential for problems. Since we have a website, our "traveling trophy" could be a dedicate page to the winners of the Challenge.

Scott.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The "dedicated page" idea is interesting. "Upside": Russ certainly earned the privelege and many have learned from him.

"Potential downside": Sets a precedent. If we do this, should there be some objective qualifications?

In reality, it's Jeff's site, if Jeff says YES, you're in, if not, you're out!! (But I suspect Jeff will object to that standard---he rarely exhibits the 'dictator" side---whadayasay, BD {Benevolent Dictator}??)

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
The "dedicated page" idea is interesting. "Upside": Russ certainly earned the privelege and many have learned from him.

"Potential downside": Sets a precedent. If we do this, should there be some objective qualifications?

In reality, it's Jeff's site, if Jeff says YES, you're in, if not, you're out!! (But I suspect Jeff will object to that standard---he rarely exhibits the 'dictator" side---whadayasay, BD {Benevolent Dictator}??)

There is "qualified" and then there is a higher standard, "Russified". I say it is a great idea. If Russ is the precedent standard, let the list begin. I think he is on the "short list".

There are some of us that really don't know Russ Fairfield's work. It would probably be a good idea to post links to websites where people could view it and not just pictures of a few of his pens.

ldb2000

Since I'm running the pen contests again this year I can take this one as well if you like . I could replace the Modified Cigar pen contest with a Modified Slimline contest in his honor or could run a seperate contest and keep the Modified Cigar contest as is . Since ther contests went off so well and had great participation last year I was planning on running them the same way this year with basicly the same rules . So point me in the direction you think works best .

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
What is the status of this???

The end (of January) draws near and if we want to do this, let's start planning the trophy or plaque or whatever. At least let's get the art, so we know where we are headed---OK???????

ldb2000

I'm still looking for some direction on this as well . What would be preferred an out right contest , kind of a Slimline Freestyle or a Challenge , where we would build a specific style of pen ? Both have their merits and drawbacks . Either will take some time to prepare and plan . Any ideas are most welcome , time is of the essence !!!

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Rather than forcing a longline, Landon...

How about we make it a 'modified slimline' contest. The winning pen will best showcase the techniques and artistry that exemplify the 'Russ' style of penturning.

That way, they can make a longline if they like, or a modified slim if they prefer. Have them indicate what makes the pen "Russ" inspired...

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Butch, are you definitely running this?

Jeff, do you want to input your vision of this contest? If it is a "tribute" contest, you will have to live with it for many years---best to do it right the first time if we are setting a precedent.

Mike and Butch, do you visualize this replacing a contest Butch is running or adding to his work load (which is already pretty "staggering" IMO)?

Thanks to all--February first grows near, we should look like we knew it was coming:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

(We can fool most of the people, most of the time:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:)

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Rather than forcing a longline, Landon...

How about we make it a 'modified slimline' contest. The winning pen will best showcase the techniques and artistry that exemplify the 'Russ' style of penturning.

That way, they can make a longline if they like, or a modified slim if they prefer. Have them indicate what makes the pen "Russ" inspired...

Whatever is decided is great, I have no player on the field so.............

ldb2000

I have no problem with running it but would really like some direction . I think it should be a stand alone month long event , this would give the greatest number of entries . One of the problems I foresee is that allot of the newer members are not very familiar with Russ's style and will either need to be directed on a single style that would be considered a Russ style pen or just let it be a modified slimline freestyle contest . Either way the judging will be a very difficult decision . I think the Modified Slimline contest would be the easier one to judge and pick a winner , since there will be no direct comparison to a particular Russ pen . I think he would have preferred this type of contest since it lets everyone make a pen that they will enjoy making rather trying to just copy one of his previous works . If I'm wrong on this , please let me know so I can start making some rules .

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I wasn't going to post on the subject again but there does not seem to be a plethora of others posting ideas so here goes. I already mentioned the "longline", if that does not do it for you, how about the "Russ-line" (see photo) Butch mentioned newer members not knowing Russ or his style. I say "good". It will promote research and learning for them while they go out and figure out who he was and what he stood for. It is not MY contest o run, I'll be catching bullets of my own soon enough. :eek:That being said, the question was asked, this is what I would do.:wink:

Attachments

• Russ-line.jpg
    Russ-line.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 89

ldb2000

Ok so I have one vote for a Russ Challenge type of contest , does anyone else have any feelings about it .
Landon , the "Russ line" would be a better choice for this type of contest , I think the "Longline" is more of a Dick Sing style of pen and while I like it , turning the upper barrel would be a problem for allot of the average turners on the site due to the closed end and the thin pointy finial . While this would be ok for a Challenge I'm not sure if it would garner enough entries to make it work . A contest like this should try to include as many turners as possible to get the largest participation we can get . Research is a great thing and I'm all in favor of it and have said so many times ... too many times . Allot of the newer members won't take the time to research how to post pictures of their own pens so I'm not sure if they would feel it's important enough to research Russ's work to enter a contest , I may be wrong but it's how I feel based on the usual posts made by allot here .

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Butch---I couldn't agree more----the level of "initiative" is astonishingly low. But, maybe we can provide a few pics to point participants in a direction?????

The project is a good idea---worth lots of us helping Butch to get it to "come together". Still a few days, but let's really brain storm this one to make it happen.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I am possibly the least qualified to speak on the subject. I must confess that I am not all that familier with Russ' work (although I have ordered a set of his videos, so I soon will be). I have looked at his web site and agree that the Russ-Line may be a good choice. Perhaps in the future ther can be sub-categories in the Russ Fairfield Tribute Challange ( I hate the wod memorial, but that is just me). J-Line, Russ-Line and Long-Line. But for this year, the Russ-Line, may be challange enough for some turners

ldb2000

Well if it's going to be a Challenge type contest using the Russ-line as a base and we will have to supply pictures to show people the type of pen , I can only find one picture of a Russ-line pen to post , will this be enough of an example ? After running several "Challenges" in the past I found some people just didn't get the concept from one photo . Does anyone have more photos ?

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Scott may be able to get some for us, Butch. I know he was attempting to help the family, there must be more photos in Russ' files---I will email Scott.

mbroberg

I've been at the computer for most of the day (and not in the shop as I had planned), so my brain is kinda more fried than normal. At this point, "Challange' and "Contest" are mearly words to describe some sort of activity we are going to have in the man's honor. I am not partial to one over the other.

ldb2000

I use the words "Challenge" and "Contest" to show a difference between the two ideas . To me the word "Challenge" is used to describe an event where there is a concept , a pen in this case , that has to be somehow duplicated ending in a result that is specifically like the original . In this case a pen must be made in the same style as an original , like the "Russ-line" using any materials available . A "Contest" is more open ended and in this case would mean a "Modified Slimline" must be made , any style , any materials , as long as it is a modified slimline of some sort .
This is the reason I would prefer a "Modified Slimline Contest" over a "Challenge" , I think a contest would garner more entries since the final pen style is up to the maker , but the end result would still be something that Russ might have done .

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Well if it's going to be a Challenge type contest using the Russ-line as a base and we will have to supply pictures to show people the type of pen , I can only find one picture of a Russ-line pen to post , will this be enough of an example ? After running several "Challenges" in the past I found some people just didn't get the concept from one photo . Does anyone have more photos ?
here are the ones I have:

Attachments

• RussLine-4.jpg
    RussLine-4.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 84
  • Russ-line.jpg
    Russ-line.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 80
  • Russ-line2.jpg
    Russ-line2.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 81

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
DUH!!!!!

I have several of his videos. IF we need pics, I can take a pic of the TV screen, I suspect. There must be pictures of finished pens----been a while since I watched these.

Scott

Hi Everybody!

Sorry to have been absent lately.

I would imagine this would be a contest named the Russ Fairfield Challenge. Each time we held the "Challenge" we could pick a little different something for everybody to pattern their entries on. I like the idea of this year doing the Russ-line. I have one of those that Russ gave me, so I can take as many pictures as you want. I also like the idea of it lasting most of the month, to give people the chance to research it out and make their pens to enter into the "Challenge". Announce that the judging would be based on how well the pen matched with the spirit of Russ's teachings, not just the best copy of one of his pens. But it could be a copy of one of his pens.

As for who runs it, there are a couple of us that have offered. I have to admit that if Butch wants it, I'd let him run with it, but he has so much to do now I don't know why he would want it. I could run it, but as you all know, I disappear for a few days at a time, so if it needs constant attention, I'm not the one. But I would be happy to be one of the judges!

Mike, it's probably time to just assign it to one of us and be done with it, so we can make up the rules. Good luck! ;-)

Scott.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Here is an idea...since Russ seemed to be pretty innovative with his slimlines, rather than have a contest for the best Russline or Longline, why not make it a contest for the most innovative use of a slimline? Just a thought.

ldb2000

Here is an idea...since Russ seemed to be pretty innovative with his slimlines, rather than have a contest for the best Russline or Longline, why not make it a contest for the most innovative use of a slimline? Just a thought.

This is my thought on this too . There are some who might not participate if they have to make a copy of a Russ pen because they don't think that they could do a copy worthy of winning . An open contest would allow everyone , even a new member to modify a slimline within their ability , which I think would create the greatest number of entries .

mbroberg

Decision Made:

Butch Will run the contest, Scott & Jeff, along with another person(s) of their choosingg will judge.

THANKS!!!!!

Scott

Hi Everybody!

Jeff mentioned that maybe I should write some kind of introduction for the Russ Fairfield Challenge. I would be glad to do this, and will get on it right away. I'm still working on who else could judge the contest.

Thanks!

Scott.

Top Bottom