Ruby Red Bakelite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dgscott

dgscott

I haven't posted much recently, but I was fortunate enough to get some Ruby Red Bakelite from Dawn and Ed, and think the material is extraordinary and worth a look. I had to re-learn some techniques because the Bakelite is so brittle, but found that it polishes up beautifully. The fittings are plated in 24k gold and the nib is a 6mm Bock.

Thanks for looking.
Doug

Attachments

• bakelite5.jpg
    bakelite5.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 241
  • bakelite2.jpg
    bakelite2.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 258
  • bakelite4.jpg
    bakelite4.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 203
  • bakelite3.jpg
    bakelite3.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 271
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

propencity

Very nice Doug. Really like that blank with the black and gold combo makes for an exquisite pen. I took notice on the center band. Is that custom also? Thanks for sharing.

dgscott

Beautiful pen and work Doug! also Doug i think showing clip ring would of worked ok with the center band and this blank.

Thank you. I debated adding a ring either at the top (the clip ring is much too small) or the bottom of the barrel, but decided in favor of not interrupting the material pattern in a "less is more" kind of way. I agree, tho, that you can never have too much sparkle.
Doug

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Looks great.:good::good:

Can you tell us a bit more about the chrome stripping and gold plating please. I've been considering buying the chemicals and electric wand but I haven't been able to find out if the 24k plating is even as hard wearing as what is currently available on our 'lesser' kits.

dgscott

Looks great.:good::good:

Can you tell us a bit more about the chrome stripping and gold plating please. I've been considering buying the chemicals and electric wand but I haven't been able to find out if the 24k plating is even as hard wearing as what is currently available on our 'lesser' kits.

I bought Caswell equipment -- higher end that their "Plug and Plate" products, this involves the use of an infinitely variable rectifier. I decided on Caswell rather than other systems because the use of an acid dip isn't required -- the less acid in my life, the better. While my experience is fairly limited so far, their 24k Fast Gold plating solution is mentioned as being suitable for auto emblems, capable of holding up under fairly harsh weather conditions. So far, it has proven pretty tough -- I polish after plating with Noxon to remove the smut, but then take it to the white diamond wheel to bring it to a high shine. Even after buffing with white diamond, the nickel base coat doesn't come through.

The chrome stripping works the same way as the plating, only using a different solution. After stripping, I plate with nickel in case there's nothing underneath except pot metal.

Hope that helps.
Doug

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks Doug. I'm even more impressed now !!:biggrin:

This one is the kit I've been considering. Please cast your eye over it and let me have your opinion when you have a minute or two.:)

Top Bottom