Roughing gouge and skew questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alchemist

It's really one question for both tools...

What are the angles preferred for the roughing gouge and skew?

I want to regrind my gouge and skew. They came with my lathe from a garage sale. I got into sharpening them, used them, bought carbide tools, but want to get back into using them.

Why use my old grind? My skew isn't cutting right. I know I ground the wrong angle.

I do have a grinding jig, similar to the wolverine and other jigs.

Give me an angle. Maybe a picture and I'll get the rest!

Thank you a bunch in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RichAldrich

I have my spindle, bowl and roughing gauges all sharpened at 50 degrees. 45 degrees cuts a little better but is not as stable as the 50 in my opinion. The same bevel angle allows consistency for me when beginning a cut into a spindle or bowl blank. I ride the same bevel angle for most of my cuts. The angle is my arrow or pointer for the direction of cut. Muscle memory and visual clues give me consistency with my 50 degree angle.

Alchemist

I have my spindle, bowl and roughing gauges all sharpened at 50 degrees. 45 degrees cuts a little better but is not as stable as the 50 in my opinion. The same bevel angle allows consistency for me when beginning a cut into a spindle or bowl blank. I ride the same bevel angle for most of my cuts. The angle is my arrow or pointer for the direction of cut. Muscle memory and visual clues give me consistency with my 50 degree angle.

50 degrees... okay thanks! I'll keep that in mind when I get ready to fix my tools! Thanks!

howsitwork

David

there are so many variables at play here so try 50 then see what works for you. Maybe a little longer bevel, maybe fingernail , maybe. in fact probably a longer finer angle on the skew. The finer the angle the shorter the time between honing I find.

What i mean by factors at play is - how you stand at the lathe , your arm length ( so it's comfortable for you to hold the tool and use it) , lathe centre height vs your height , your width ( no offence intended ) extra padding makes it easier to hug the gouge close if bowl turning even if it does mean you stand a bit further back.

What is a good idea is HONING especially your skew ( see multiple entries from Hank on that one ) Round skews are a revelation to use too.

Just checked my gouge and its 42 currently but works for me.

Have fun and stay safe

Alchemist

Hmmmm... I'm 5'6" and the my lathe working space is mid-range. I get close too. I agree about variables. I'll eventually find something I'm sure. I needed a good re-start point, if that makes sense.

No offense is taken... not of us look the same as we did 20 years ago! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Thanks for the advice!

penicillin

I have the Sorby six piece full size turning set:
https://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/a67hs6t-six-piece-turning-tool-set

I wrote down Sorby's factory grind specifications when I bought it:

Bevel Angles for Robert Sorby Six Piece Turning Set

3/4 inch Spindle roughing gouge (843H): 45 degrees
3/8 inch Spindle gouge (840H): 45 degrees
3/8 inch Bowl gouge (842H): 45 degrees
3/4 inch Standard skew chisel (810H): 30 degrees between faces (15 degrees each), 70 degree skew angle
1/8 inch Parting tool (830H): 40 degrees between faces (20 degrees each)
1/2 inch Round nose scraper (820H): 80 degrees

Buckmark13

Carter and Son's has a free sharpening guide that has their recommendations for most types of tools.

They also have an online guide, again for most every tool, with their recommendations. It's a great resource at least for a starting point. Great tips as well for using the Wolverine / Varigrind system if you use it.

Personally, I find their angles to be spot on and they work very well for me. I do use the Wolverine system as well.

Good luck!

Top Bottom