roses

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JayDevin

I have been picking drying and casting roses.
here is a before and after
DSC09862.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
Ouch.. Looks like a pretty color version of my 1st try at a cast pinecone.. Good luck - I hope you pull it off. The idea is very cool.

Draken

If you need a beta tester, let me know. :D Perhaps a different turner's approach may have different results. Saw the blanks in the kaboom thread, they look great hope you can get the blowup issues resolved.

follow3

Hey Jay,

How did you dry the petals?

An idea to prevent the Kaboom... try epoxy to glue the tubes. It always seems to hold things together better for me.

Otherwise... AWESOME blanks!!!

Steve

JayDevin

slowly in the oven.....small disaster on the last batch, left them in the oven to still dry LOML turned oven on

burnt the whole batch......

JohnU

That is a great idea. My grandma's name is Rose. I'm going to have to give that a try for her. Good luck and keep us posted on the successful pen!

desertyellow

It's been quiet on this front.
Any new developments.
Anxious to hear what you have learned... what you have done.
Details.:)
We are keeping our fingers crossed for you.

Tony,
Las Vegas

JayDevin

Tony,

I got frustrated......I have a batch of petals hthat have been dried and sprayed with lacquer...I have not cast them as of yet. I will keep you posted!

JayDevin

Progress report: ARRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!! %*@)#@)@))@^(&%(@#@$_!^)&!@#&!@)!_!#W^)!@_!!!

AND THAT IS WHAT i CAN TYPE. So I will put t his on the back burner for a while.... Im Passing the torch. I will revisit at a later date.:(:(:(:(

Draken

Sorry to hear of your continued difficulties with this blank. I think it is a great idea and will make a great looking pen once the process has been nailed down. I still offer to beta test one of these blanks if you have one to see if a different turner's approach makes any difference or not.

Cheers

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I bullied Jay into giving me one of the blanks.

20086425828__MG_0294.jpg

20086425848__MG_0295.jpg

2008642590__MG_0296.jpg

20086425911__MG_0297.jpg

I took it really slow and applied lots of CA over and over after each couple of passes of the gouge.

I did have one minor blow out but it was part of one leaf and it left 1/2 of the layer there so I filled the hole with CA and it looked great.

GK

JayDevin

James

Greg told me how he turned the blank, I will mail yours on 6/4. it will not be easy. I want to hear how you turn it.
good luck,
I will see Greg's version in person tomorrow, Im excited and frustrated at the same time!

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Gentle, you must be. Slowly, you must go.

:D

Actually, the trick I used was what I do for all "sensitive" blanks: use a sharp 1/4" parting tool to make it round and near final dimensions. Be sure to only take 1/8" - 3/16" at a time and take each cut down to within 1/8" of "final dimension". Then clean it up slowly and gently with your favorite tool. I used a small roughing gouge.

GK

Draken

Wow, great job on the blank Jay, and the pen, Greg. <s>Did you paint the tubes on that one? Looks like the tubes rather than the hole based on what I can tell from the photos.</s> Nevermind, saw your post in SOYP. We shall see how it goes, thanks for sending me a blank Jay, hope I can do it justice.

Cheers

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
The hole was sprayed with a transparent pearlescense. When that dried both the tubes and the hole were painted with a metallic gold acrylic paint.

GK

JayDevin

Greg Was so very kind to Present that pen to me yesterday. Words cannot express the gratitude, I was near tears.
It is an honor to have such a great Friend!

Thank you 100000000000000000000000000000000000 times my friend!

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
awwwwrrrrr shucks, twern't nuthin.

You are Very welcome, Jay!!

Kim says I need to acquire two more of those blanks and since she is SWMBO...

GK

JayDevin

********Update 8JUn08******************************************************
after long hard work by Greg Ketell and Myself, I am ready to offer some of these blanks for sale.
PLEASE NOTE this is a difficult blank to turn, I DO NOT gaurantee against blow outs. PLease reference the KABOOM thread. I will place the ad in the Individual Classified section.

Jay

desertyellow

It's alway good to find a story with a happy ending.
I laughed, I cried, It moved me.
The end result was a gorgeous pen --and yes that is the right word for it gorgeous.
This is what makes this site shine.
Another success story.

Top Bottom