Rolling pin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from EricRN

EricRN

Almost didn't go out to the shop today but weather was too nice not to (finally!). Glad I did. This is one of my best yet. Less than 1/100th of an inch variance in diameter across the main part in the middle. Still in progress but shaping up nicely.

Attachments

• BD40ED7F-74B5-442C-9974-C1ABF6D96701.jpeg
    BD40ED7F-74B5-442C-9974-C1ABF6D96701.jpeg
    584.8 KB · Views: 199
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DesertCanyon

Almost didn't go out to the shop today but weather was too nice not to (finally!). Glad I did. This is one of my best yet. Less than 1/100th of an inch variance in diameter across the main part in the middle. Still in progress but shaping up nicely.
Very nice work! What kind of wood?

PreacherJon

Nice French Rolling pin! I made one this one 8-9 years ago, based upon my son's specific instructions (He's the chef in the family). It is still going strong.

This is made out Curly Cherry. It is 1 3/4" in the middle thick and is 16" long.

Attachments

• rolling pin.png
    rolling pin.png
    196.9 KB · Views: 137

EricRN

Very nice work! What kind of wood?
Black walnut. I found a 4-pack of 2x2x18 in blanks on Amazon (seller: Barrington Hardwoods) for about $23.50. That's essentially what I'd have to pay per board foot for rough cut lumber around here so I picked up a pack. These rolling pins always sell well around Mother's Day so I wanted to start turning a few and get them up in my Etsy shop.

EricRN

Nice French Rolling pin! I made one this one 8-9 years ago, based upon my son's specific instructions (He's the chef in the family). It is still going strong.

This is made out Curly Cherry. It is 1 3/4" in the middle thick and is 16" long.
Love the curl on that thing. Great dimensions. That's about what min are as well.

gimpy

Nice !!
I had a request to make one, but it had to be a spectic
specifcations
it had to be 4' in dia and 20" long and it needed to be
HEAVY
So, I found some tiger maple and Walnut

PreacherJon

Nice !!
I had a request to make one, but it had to be a spectic
specifcations
it had to be 4' in dia and 20" long and it needed to be
HEAVY
So, I found some tiger maple and Walnut
Do you have a pic? Love to see it.

penicillin

One of our adult children likes mochi, a Japanese food made from rice flour, often served in a ball shape with a sweet filling. We wanted to buy a mochi-making kit as a gift, but they had been snapped up and disappeared at Christmas. We looked at the items in the kit and decided to buy the separate components and make our own kit. I will leave it to you to decide whether our kit is better. ;-)

The rolling pin was turned from a piece of wood that was labeled "Granadillo". It is probably macacauba. It is very dense and heavy, and it feels good in the hand. The rolling pin supports are marblewood. The finish on them is Tried and True original.

The box is maple. The inset bottom panel and lid are bloodwood. The finish is Tried and True varnish oil.

The handle on the box came from a pen blank. It is a 6,500 year old piece of Irish bog oak. I purchased the pen blank here on Penturners.org:
https://www.penturners.org/threads/certified-irish-bog-oak-pen-blanks-6500-years-old.163898/

Rolling pin with holders.JPG Mochi Kit Box and Shirt.JPG Mochi Kit.JPG Mochi Kit with Book.JPG

gimpy

One of our adult children likes mochi, a Japanese food made from rice flour, often served in a ball shape with a sweet filling. We wanted to buy a mochi-making kit as a gift, but they had been snapped up and disappeared at Christmas. We looked at the items in the kit and decided to buy the separate components and make our own kit. I will leave it to you to decide whether our kit is better. ;-)

The rolling pin was turned from a piece of wood that was labeled "Granadillo". It is probably macacauba. It is very dense and heavy, and it feels good in the hand. The rolling pin supports are marblewood. The finish on them is Tried and True original.

The box is maple. The inset bottom panel and lid are bloodwood. The finish is Tried and True varnish oil.

The handle on the box came from a pen blank. It is a 6,500 year old piece of Irish bog oak. I purchased the pen blank here on Penturners.org:
https://www.penturners.org/threads/certified-irish-bog-oak-pen-blanks-6500-years-old.163898/

View attachment 302839 View attachment 302840 View attachment 302841 View attachment 302842

Top Bottom