Rolling Cart

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I was going to put this in tool review but thought it would do better here. I needed a rolling cart for some tools I want to free up space in the shop. Instead of taking the time to build one it was just as easy to buy something and the one I wound up with is from Home Depot and is this Husky.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3...k-HMo4wW4F1pnzBhCD-9KE0bRJdc0c-xlijN5yrBLiVD4

It is not available in any stores by me so I bought it in the store and they delivered to my house. Got it Tuesday and finally got it down in the basement and I put it together. Have to say and the reason for this thread, that this unit is worth every penny and it happens to be the cheapest at Home Depot than anywhere else. Well built and sturdy. All parts are well machined and easy to assemble. It came well packaged and protected. It has some weight to it so glad it came unassembled so I could get it down stairs with my bad hip. I picked up some drawer liner material from Home Depot Friday and just cut to fit Sunday. The drawers glide in and out with ease on ball bearings. The top is well made and actually beautiful so I put some rubber on it too to protect it. What I originally bought it for was a small metal break I bought and needed a stand for it. I think I will place my tabletop drill press on it also. Not sure on that one yet. Now I have to lift that break up on top and that should be fun.

So if you are looking for a sturdy well built roll around cart, take a look at this 36" one by Husky. well worth the money. When I get it with the tools on I will take a photo. More storage room for me with 3 more drawers. Always love that. I know my pressure pot will reside underneath. I was looking for a place to put that thing now that I cleaned the shop. If I had more room I would have gotten another one to set my 1220 Jet lathe up on. Even though I do not use it much it would look good on a stand. That is always my backup lathe.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Well this darn back of mine went completely out this morning so no lifting for awhile and lots of chiropractor visits and rest again. This is a chronic problem of mine and as I get older it gets worst every time. I was doing so well for about 6 months and felt so good. I believe favoring the hip has unbalanced the back and caused it to go out. Anyone with a bad back can understand the pain. I do not believe there is a worse pain.

jokker78

I just finished mine.

Attachments

• 20200229_114744.jpg
    20200229_114744.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 150

jttheclockman

I just finished mine.
That came out really nice. Love to make things like that. As I said I normally would make my own and in fact I made all carts and cabinets in my shop but that was 30 years ago. Just can not do what I use to and this was such an easy way to get one done. By the time and money I would have spent on wood and parts it would be close to the price of the Husky. I am happy with it and just hope this back gets better so I can get back in the shop. May need some help lifting the break on top of it but that is for another day. That thing weighs 100lbs and and it is only a 12" break, roller and shear. 3 in 1 tool. for my small projects.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I bought two very similar about 6 years ago from HD when they were on sale for just over $100 each. I bolted my Rikon pen lathe on top and the height is just right. BUT there is one drawback - my occasional inattention to closing the drawers completely which results in shavings in the drawer. :oops:

jttheclockman

I bought two very similar about 6 years ago from HD when they were on sale for just over $100 each. I bolted my Rikon pen lathe on top and the height is just right. BUT there is one drawback - my occasional inattention to closing the drawers completely which results in shavings in the drawer. :oops:
Heck that could be a good thing. Saves on bending down to clean the floor.:) I can see where the height would be great for a lathe. I looked at that because I was going to put my 12" Delta table top drill press on it but it is too high for that. I would not be able to roll it in and out of the shop door. I will probably have to store mine in the game room because just no room in the shop. That is OK though now that the game room has been cleaned.

I envy you guys that can do quality finished flat work... if I had built that cabinet, it would have looked as if we gave a troop of chimpanzees a hammer and saw... no straight angles, no straight joints, probably lopsided wheels, -- you get the picture. I do okay on the lathe, but flat work just escapes me.... and my father was a great carpenter.. what he built stayed built. But he never taught me a thing, he figured since I was his spawn, I would know what he knew by osmosis or it would just be in the genes... how wrong he was.

Very nice and a real beauty.

jttheclockman

I learned so much from my Dad as I grew up. He remodeled out entire house and built all kitchen cabinets, bathroom vanities and so much more. Patio furniture, shed, redid the basement and built all cabinets down there. Just picked it up because he was one if you wanted to eat you helped. I thank him every day and truly miss him. I often said though I wish we had the tools I have today compared to what we worked with back in the early years. Man what we could have made. I remember he made my sister a doll house and built all the furniture for it too. I believe that is where I got my small detail part of my mind from. When I build my themed pen boxes has alot to do with watching him all those years. Flat work is a rewarding form of woodworking as well.

Have a few more chiropractor visits this week but I need to start working in the shop again. Not good sitting around. Need to move. I do believe though this time it is going to take a long time for the back to heal because the hip is involved and if it is starting to fail me who knows what I will be staring at soon. Will not go near hospitals any time soon though. Hopefully will have some pens to show soon.

Top Bottom