Rollester Mahogany

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from qquake

qquake

This is a PSI Rollester rollerball, in chrome. The wood is mahogany. The finish is Pens Plus.

Attachments

• 062.jpg
    062.jpg
    741.9 KB · Views: 121
  • 063.jpg
    063.jpg
    763.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 064.jpg
    064.jpg
    753.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 065.jpg
    065.jpg
    718.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 066.jpg
    066.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 067.jpg
    067.jpg
    606.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 068.jpg
    068.jpg
    530.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 069.jpg
    069.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 070.jpg
    070.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 071.jpg
    071.jpg
    526.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 072.jpg
    072.jpg
    578.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 073.jpg
    073.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 074.jpg
    074.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 075.jpg
    075.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 076.jpg
    076.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 077.jpg
    077.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 078.jpg
    078.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 079.jpg
    079.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 080.jpg
    080.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 081.jpg
    081.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 082.jpg
    082.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 083.jpg
    083.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 084.jpg
    084.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 107
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BoonareeBurl

Very nice! What are your thoughts on the rollester kit? I just got asked to make a few
I'm mostly a wood pen collector (and not a turner), but I can tell you that the Rollester (gun metal) is one of my favorite kits in my collection. It's simple and showcases the blank. It's also quite well made, especially for the price. However, I did have an issue with the plastic insert in the cap being broken (but Penn State sent a new one). As you can see from my profile photo here, I prefer a thicker barrel to showcase more of the wood and because I like the feel of something thicker and more weighty when I write.

G

egnald

Hi Jim, another nice one.

To chime in with BoonareeBurl above, the Rollester is one of my favorite kits also. I have had a chrome one done in Ambrosia Maple as my every-day-carry for well over a year now. I did swap out the rollerball refill for a Pilot G2 though as I prefer gel ink over the standard rollerball variety. Not that it is horrible, but I also agree that the plastic insert in the cap can be a weakness for the design. I've never had one break, but it doesn't snap on as tightly (or as straight) as it did when I first made it -- then again, mine gets used several times every day!

sorcerertd

The Rollester is a nice pen to show off a beautiful blank. I have never personally liked the look of them overall, but have sold every one I've ever made. Obviously, other opinions are quite different, and that's why I have a couple more kits waiting for me in the shop. They are a nice weight and take quite a variety of refills. Also, posting the cap doesn't set them way off balance like a Jr. does.

I did swap out the rollerball refill for a Pilot G2 though as I prefer gel ink over the standard rollerball variety.
I recommend trying out a Pilot Precise or a Pentel Energel with them. They are both needle tip cartridges. IMO, they look ridiculous in a fatter pen, but work well in narrower pens.

ink_a_fink

I recommend trying out a Pilot Precise or a Pentel Energel with them. They are both needle tip cartridges. IMO, they look ridiculous in a fatter pen, but work well in narrower pens.
^^ totally agree. The Energel and Precise refills are my go to for rollerball kits. They don't fit in every single one but work very well in the Rollester.

That dramatic visual step from the nib to the needle point could be off putting for some, and the precise can be bit fragile. I've seen some precise points get bent over time with those who write with a heavy hand. I've also dropped a couple on the tip and basically had to scrap the cartridge.

cmiller

Nice work, Jim. I like the Rollester kit, but after a while it seems like they all end up with a wobbly cap that doesn't stay closed very well. I promise I'm not using them as a fidget toys. It seems like a defect to me, I hope they fix it.

endacoz

^^ totally agree. The Energel and Precise refills are my go to for rollerball kits. They don't fit in every single one but work very well in the Rollester.

That dramatic visual step from the nib to the needle point could be off putting for some, and the precise can be bit fragile. I've seen some precise points get bent over time with those who write with a heavy hand. I've also dropped a couple on the tip and basically had to scrap the cartridge.
Can I ask where to get these upgraded refills?

ink_a_fink

Can I ask where to get these upgraded refills?
Here in The States, most office supply stores will have the refills. You can also buy a Pilot or Energel Retractable pen and just can pull the refill from it. I've seen the pens at most any store that you can buy pens at and the cost difference between the pen and the refill packs is only a few dollars.

The precise is from the Pilot Precise retractable pen - refill can also be found on amazon
The Energell is the same, Refill on amazon or you can buy the pen and just pull the refill
Jet Pens also has a lot of fun refills for Energel and Pilot Precise....and parker for that matter :)

Top Bottom