Roll Stop advice needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jj9ball

Any of you out there that make custom fountain pens from scratch I need your help. Can you tell me what you use for roll stops? Do you just get small rounds of silver or stainless? Do you turn them down on the metal lathe? Anybody who can share their process will help me out a bunch. I have writers block for penmakers 🙄. Thanks in advance for any advice you have.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Lynch

Does it have to be metal?You could turn a little bead with a stem from the same material as the body.drill a little hole in the cap for the stem and glue it in.

darrin1200

Any of you out there that make custom fountain pens from scratch I need your help. Can you tell me what you use for roll stops? Do you just get small rounds of silver or stainless? Do you turn them down on the metal lathe? Anybody who can share their process will help me out a bunch. I have writers block for penmakers 🙄. Thanks in advance for any advice you have.

There are a number of makers, that us sterling silver pendants and jewellery pieces as rollstops. Try to get solid silver, that way if you have to remove anything, such as a loop for a necklace chain, you can buff it out easily. I used a tree of life pendant. The one mistake I made with this one, is that the taper of the pen was a little to much, and the roll stop just barely worked.

1579527535744.jpeg

1shootist

If you want something small. Shotgun front site beads can be used. many different varieties of size of bead in brass, stainless, glass etc. Skirted or non skirted. Post threaded or not.

duncsuss

Yes - pearl ear studs work, serpent rings, semi-precious gemstones ... all the way through to custom-made parts that wrap around the cap.

Carl Pepka

I make my own from sheet and wire silver. The investment isnt all that much and it's really pretty easy.

Attachments

• 07-04-19a.jpg
    07-04-19a.jpg
    827.7 KB · Views: 308
  • 08-25-19a.jpg
    08-25-19a.jpg
    716.1 KB · Views: 306
  • 10-17-19a.jpg
    10-17-19a.jpg
    662.9 KB · Views: 289
  • 11-16-19a.jpg
    11-16-19a.jpg