Role stops...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Aces-High

Here are some ideas I have for adding roll stops to my fountain pens. They are made from metallic clay that you cook to harden. Do you guys think this adds or devalues? This is by no means the finished product...

Auto correct used wrong "roll" for title, not sure how to correct it.
20210310_141829.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jalbert

It would definitely make a clipless pen considerably more interesting.I say go for it! Also, the clipless pen market is absolutely saturated, so this would be a good way to distinguish yourself

Last edited:

floatslow

I like the concept, great experimentation. Personally the composition/ scale of these prototypes seem off to me. But one refined it should compliment well.

magpens

@Aces-High

Jason, you have come up with a nifty idea !!! . . I like it very much !! . .

And I don't think it needs much, if any, refinement ... it's quite suitable as it is !!

.... especially the seashell on the green pen and the white moth on the red pen !! .... nice contrast to the precise lines of the pens !!!

howsitwork

Not sure Jason.

I find the colours distracting but the shapes show definately promise and it's an interesting niche marketing device. In a bright colour theyd be eye catching but might detract from the penmanship ( is that a word here ?)of your work?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have only used one once. It fit in well with the theme - St Patrick's day, and I also used a cheap stud earring, and the post inserted in a small drilled hole. It was cheap... and everyone loved it!

The concept to do these with metallic clay is wonderful as artistry can be devoted to the clip. Cody Walker has dabbled in this topic very successfully, as others.

Keep at it Jason!

PatrickR

FWIW
I have made a number of clipless pens but in general don't care for them. When just laying around its not clear what it is. A roll stop ads some function and decoration but doesn't scream pen like a clip.
What you've shown look a little big for the barrel to me. If you could set them into the barrel a little somehow they would look more a part of the pen instead of something stuck on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aces-High

FWIW
I have made a number of clipless pens but in general don't care for them. When just laying around its not clear what it is. A roll stop ads some function and decoration but doesn't scream pen like a clip.
What you've shown look a little big for the barrel to me. If you could set them into the barrel a little somehow they would look more a part of the pen instead of something stuck on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Some great insight, thanks. I would love to make my own clips, or find some good interesting clips to use. The hard thing is that I'm not looking to start another aspect of this hobby, like metallurgy...if I could find some good clips to buy and use, that would be perfect.

Cwalker935

I am in the minority but I like roll-stoppers. I generally do not carry a pen in a shirt pocket so the only real purpose that I get from clips is to stop the pen from rolling and adornment. Metal clay roll stoppers give you an opportunity to add some uniqueness to your pen. That having been said, can you tell us more about your stoppers? Type of clay? I do not have a kiln so I only buy clays that can be torch fired. I do a preliminary shaping of the clay, dry the shaped clay in a toaster oven, do some sanding and clean up of the dried clay, fire with a MAPP torch for 7 minutes, quench, and polish the pieces. My clay pieces are usually somewhat crude but true clay artists can do some fantastic stuff with them.

Your roll stoppers are creative and I like where you are going but based on your photos they do not appear to have been fired properly.

Here is a post of a dolphin stopper that I did:

Cwalker935

What degree of finishing can be done after fired? I've not used PMC, as I prefer wire/sheet and the molten stuff
I am not an expert by any means, however, the fired clay can be buffed, blackened or treated with various patinas. It can be polished with metal shot in a rock tumbler. I have seen some pretty incredible metal clay pieces. I think someone with more artistic talent than I possess could do quite a bit with it. You can embed stones in it as well. The stones have to be something that will withstand the firing and you have to allow for shrinkage so that the piece does not crack.

I think it's too brittle for making clips. I have tried with no success.

Aces-High

I am in the minority but I like roll-stoppers. I generally do not carry a pen in a shirt pocket so the only real purpose that I get from clips is to stop the pen from rolling and adornment. Metal clay roll stoppers give you an opportunity to add some uniqueness to your pen. That having been said, can you tell us more about your stoppers? Type of clay? I do not have a kiln so I only buy clays that can be torch fired. I do a preliminary shaping of the clay, dry the shaped clay in a toaster oven, do some sanding and clean up of the dried clay, fire with a MAPP torch for 7 minutes, quench, and polish the pieces. My clay pieces are usually somewhat crude but true clay artists can do some fantastic stuff with them.

Your roll stoppers are creative and I like where you are going but based on your photos they do not appear to have been fired properly.

Here is a post of a dolphin stopper that I did:

Thanks for all this. This clay is from Michael's, it's not the PMC...

Top Bottom