Rockler JR Gent fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

We were recently gifted with a kit for Rockler's Upgraded Jr Gentleman I fountain pen kit.

When I went in to look at the instructions I saw several reviews that said it had problems with not assembling properly. Anyone out there have experience with it and can offer advice on how to assemble it without damaging it? Stephanie will be really disappointed if she gets it all turned and finished and then it won't go together properly.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

Since I basically drive right past Rockler on my way home from the blind center, maybe I'll just take it in to the store and have them show me how to assemble it without damaging it. I'll print out the reviews that say it has assembly problems and take it with me.

I cut a couple of carob blanks for it. They have a lovely big beautiful knot right in the middle....my kind of blank!

Last edited:

magpens

Good luck, Sharon ... this sounds like an awkward issue. . Wish I could help but that pen kit was before my day.

gtriever

Looking at the kit, a couple of things pop out. (1) Make sure the accent rings are installed properly on the tip couplers, with the lip towards the blank, and (2) When installing the cap coupler assembly, press it almost to the end of the plastic piece and then check for small plastic burrs before pressing it tight.

sbwertz

Took it to Rockler and it took us about half an hour to figure out what was going on, and get it put together. They ship the kit with the centerband coupler screwed in the middle of the nib and the nib coupler. TIGHTLY screwed together. We couldn't figure out what was going on...the center band coupler seemed to be missing and the nib assembly looked all wrong. My fingers weren't strong enough to unscrew the mess, but the Rockler clerk was finally able to get it unscrewed and disassembled into it's component parts, then it went together fine.

sbwertz

Looking at the kit, a couple of things pop out. (1) Make sure the accent rings are installed properly on the tip couplers, with the lip towards the blank, and (2) When installing the cap coupler assembly, press it almost to the end of the plastic piece and then check for small plastic burrs before pressing it tight.

Yes, there were some small burrs, but they came off easily. It really went together easily once we got all the parts straightened out. Looking at the bad reviews, I can't help but wonder if they tried to press it together without disassembling the coupler from the middle of the nib assembly. They had slipped the centerband coupler over the body of the nib, then screwed the nib into the nib coupler and put them all into a little bag together.

Top Bottom