Rockler Excelsior Mini Lathe - Belt Slipping?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

civilwartalk

So, in the last week or so I've noted that my belt is slipping more and more.

I purchased my lathe almost exactly 1 year ago, and I don't think the problem is the motor. I looked at the belt, and it seems ok, it's the original stock belt.

I've been double and triple checking the motor is seated at the bottom stop when I tighten the belt, as well as confirming that the belt isn't cross-seated on the pullies or anything out of the ordinary.

I can only currently run bigger items, stuff 2" and larger in diameter, by taking very shallow cuts, or on smaller pen sized projects I seem to have the power to still make decent cuts. Although noticeably, I can't rough out a pen blank in 20 seconds with an easy wood tool like I used to be able to.

I can hear what sounds like the wheel slipping on the belt when I take a normal cut, and I'm wondering if this is a common issue, and how do you fix it?

Would belt dressing help? I know that keeps the belt on cars pliable and squeak less, that means less slipping....

Is the belt stretched out? Does that happen? There is no way to tension the belt outside the normal motor mount "lift" we use to change gears I assume....

Should I just order a replacement belt? I was looking at the Harbor Freight 10 In. X 18 In. 5 Speed 1/2 HP Benchtop Wood Lathe parts, this appears to be the same chassis, so I assume the belts are the same, I see the price at Harbor Freight is about half.

Any ideas here?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

civilwartalk

Oh, and I just wanted to confirm I cleaned out my entire underside of my lathe and bench of any tools and debris, and checked inside of the belt chamber is clean of debris, nothing is stopping my motor mount from going up and down the full length of travel.

Mike2.0

So, in the last week or so I've noted that my belt is slipping more and more.

I purchased my lathe almost exactly 1 year ago, and I don't think the problem is the motor. I looked at the belt, and it seems ok, it's the original stock belt.

I've been double and triple checking the motor is seated at the bottom stop when I tighten the belt, as well as confirming that the belt isn't cross-seated on the pullies or anything out of the ordinary.

I can only currently run bigger items, stuff 2" and larger in diameter, by taking very shallow cuts, or on smaller pen sized projects I seem to have the power to still make decent cuts. Although noticeably, I can't rough out a pen blank in 20 seconds with an easy wood tool like I used to be able to.

I can hear what sounds like the wheel slipping on the belt when I take a normal cut, and I'm wondering if this is a common issue, and how do you fix it?

Would belt dressing help? I know that keeps the belt on cars pliable and squeak less, that means less slipping....

Is the belt stretched out? Does that happen? There is no way to tension the belt outside the normal motor mount "lift" we use to change gears I assume....

Should I just order a replacement belt? I was looking at the Harbor Freight 10 In. X 18 In. 5 Speed 1/2 HP Benchtop Wood Lathe parts, this appears to be the same chassis, so I assume the belts are the same, I see the price at Harbor Freight is about half.

Any ideas here?
Seems like the belt might have stretched. I think the Excelsior and the HF lathe are the same.

monophoto

It's possible that your belt has stretched, or that the material has hardened to the point where the surface is slippery. In either case, replacing the belt is an inexpensive fix, and its prudent to always have one or two spares on hand - belts don't always tell you in advance when they are going to break!

Several years ago, there was a thread here that suggested V-Belt Supply as a source of replacement belts - https://www.vbeltsupply.com/vbelt-cross-reference.

The key things you need to know are the width, the length, and the cross-sectional profile

Joebobber

My old lathe did that right before the motor went. The motor was fine just turning but didnt have the torque to handle square things. I may still have the belt. I can check and send it to you if i have it. I believe it was a micromark 8" which looks like the same machine you have if I'm remembering correctly. Here's a picture i found of it. Let me know if you want it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211115-122305_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20211115-122305_Drive.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 95

civilwartalk

My old lathe did that right before the motor went. The motor was fine just turning but didnt have the torque to handle square things. I may still have the belt. I can check and send it to you if i have it. I believe it was a micromark 8" which looks like the same machine you have if I'm remembering correctly. Here's a picture i found of it. Let me know if you want it.
Now that's my concern, that the motor might be going. I was trying to assume the best, that it's just the belt, and I don't need to replace the motor/lathe, but, well, if the belt doesn't cure the issue, this may be one of the things I review better.

monophoto

Now that's my concern, that the motor might be going. I was trying to assume the best, that it's just the belt, and I don't need to replace the motor/lathe, but, well, if the belt doesn't cure the issue, this may be one of the things I review better.
The most likely mode of 'failure' of a lathe mother is that the brushes are worn. You said your lathe was a year old - that seems pretty young for a brush problem, but I suppose it's possible. Replacing brushes or the belt is far less costly than replacing the motor.

Top Bottom