Rockler bushing 'bleeding'?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nates02gt

I know I have read about bushings bleeding onto the wood during the sanding/finishing and I have experienced it a few times when I get into the micro mesh but tonight, I couldn't sand the blank past 240 grit without getting 'bleed over' from the bushings. There are two variables that are different from my normal turning. First, I was turning a Kallenshaan Afghanistan Service Ribbon blank that my dad sent me after I returned a few months ago. The second variable is I was using Rockler bushings. Up until turning this kit, I have used PSI bushings. I am just wondering if the make up of the wood that Kallenshaan uses is more prone to absorbing the metal or if the Rockler bushings are softer than the PSI bushings. I do want to be clear that I am not trying to find fault with or put down either Kallenshaan or Rockler. I am just trying to figure out what I need to change. Thanks!

Nate

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wouldentu2?

Are you talking about sanding the bushing causing metal dust to get spread onto the light colored wood? If so, sand from the center of the blank to the end with the bushing.

nates02gt

wouldentu2?: yes, that is exactly what I am referring to.

I have heard about using the delrin bushings and finishing TBC and I will probably use the TBC method next time. I was just curious if anyone had had similar issues with either the Rockler bushings or the Kallenshaan kits. Since I had not had that issue with any kits or bushings in the past, it struck me as odd.

Top Bottom