Robust lathes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Anyone have one? Their smallest one is the scout, looks very good, but comes with a rather large price tag. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

If you have the cash to get one then do it. They are excellent lathes. I do not have one. I have turned on one for a week teaching at Arrowmont and all I can say is SWEET. If only...
Do a good turn daily!
Don

PenPal

I confess to a total weakness for Vicmarc Lathes. However my next thought in lathe purchasing is to buy it as a bare lathe and design your own benching etc and fit an after market variable speed device the devices are so cheap these days and you end up with lathe you choose to put together. EG in my case I choose to sit whilst turning using a Draughtsmans swivel chair with a round footrest so I sit above and convenient,allows me to mount the drive on the bench which keeps under the bench open and free.

Kind regards Peter.

Charlie_W

Not a Robust owner but turned on an American Beauty for two weeks at Arrowmont several years ago. It is a solid, well thought out lathe. The machining is top notch. Favorite features were the movable control box, tilt away tailstock, and reversing on the fly.
Three of our club members own American Beauties and another has a Sweet Sixteen.....another wonderful lathe.
If you want a quality USA made lathe, Robust is it.

Next up would be OneWay.....Canadian/ North American made. I don't own but have used the 16/40s as well as the 12/24s and would be tickled to own either.
They are solid, well built, and a joy to use.

Vicmark and Stubby lathes are solid quality machines as well.

Very popular is the Powermatic 3520C.....not American made but another top contender. If you can find a good used 3520B, grab it....they are hard to find now.

jttheclockman

I agree about the OneWay lathe. That is a well engineered lathe and fun to turn on. I do not own one but have turned on a couple different sized ones. That would be my money lathe.

Charlie_W

Ken, I would suggest you fine someone with the Scout or other lathe you are looking at and arrange to try it hands on. In addition to the Scout, take a good look at the Oneway 12/24. It is a solid contender and an everyday workhorse. .....and the price tag is better on the wallet. Also, it has a 1" spindle so your chucks and accessories will likely readily fit.
At the Marc Adams School of Woodworking, all the student lathes are the12/24s.
There are some AAW chapters in Michigan so that might help you find clubs and members with a lathe you might want to try.
Most turners welcome folks to their shops and are will to share their time and thoughts.
Good luck on your quest!

greenacres2

Saw and touched an American Beauty last April. An incredible piece of equipment. Not that some of the others mentioned would not be, but oh my goodness that Robust was sweet. The craftsmanship was impeccable, despite the mass and weight, everything seemed to just float. I liked it, but my bank said "not at this time"!!
earl

Top Bottom